25: Monday 26th September, 12:15

Start from the beginning

"What do you want?" Kate asked, opening a tin of strong Heineken lager and taking two large swigs. "I thought with Mum dead, I'd never have to see you again."

Wilson was calm and impressed with himself. It had been six years since he'd been around his daughter and not wanted to slap her face. It convinced him that everything would work out for the best. He examined Kate as she looked back at him. She was thin and pale with a thick head of bright red hair just short of her shoulders. The face and tongue piercings had always offended him the most, but in reality they were just challenges to be overcome. There was some hard work for both of them ahead.

"I'm a changed man, Kate," he said, shifting a t-shirt beside him to allow his daughter to sit down.

Kate slurped down another few swigs of lager from the tin and burped hard and long.

Wilson swallowed. "Why don't you make us a cup of tea, and we'll have a chat?" he suggested.

"Why don't you just fuck off?" Kate said, walking over to the television, grabbing the remote control and turning the volume up.

The din was unbearable. Wilson jumped up and pulled the plug from the wall socket. The relief was instant. He could do this. He could make this work.

"Please, Kate. Let's talk." He placed his hand on her back and pressed gently, trying to edge her nearer the sofa. She recoiled from his touch.

"Get your fucking hands off me."

"Kate, it's all right. Everything's going to be just fine."

His daughter took a step towards the sofa and turned. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face gaunt.

"No, it's not. Mum's dead, and you didn't even visit her."

"I was in hospital. I was shot."

"So fucking what? You were never there for either of us. The least you could have done was have her moved to a private room. You let her die in an NHS ward. You fucking bastard."

Wilson moved slowly to his daughter, his arms outstretched. She backed away.

"I know that I let your mum down, and I know I haven't been there for you. All of that has changed now. I've found God."

Kate's retreat abruptly ended. Her mouth opened registering an astonishment he had not witnessed from his daughter in many a year.

"Oh my God," she said, covering her open mouth with a hand.

"Yes, it's true. You and I can be a family again." He moved forward and Kate remained still. She knew he was telling the truth. He raised his arms again and moved in to hold her. As he enclosed her into his grasp, her body began to shake. It was the first sign of real emotion. They were going to be fine. He thanked God, closed his eyes and squeezed lightly with his arms. It was the start of their salvation.

"I'm here, Kate," he said. "We're going to be fine."

Kate's shaking became more pronounced but the expected tears never surfaced. Instead of cries of anguish, the sound of laughter rang in his ears. Not the happy, cheerful sound of merriment but long, loud howls of ridicule with barely a breath in between. She pushed him away, and he saw the look of derision in her red eyes. It was unmistakable.

"You're the devil," he said, dropping his hands to his sides and stepping back. "You can't be saved."

His words drew more belly laughs from his daughter as she struggled to find the air to speak.

"Please no more," she said, supporting herself with one hand against the wall.

Wilson charged forward and slapped her hard against the side of her head sending her halfway across the room. Only the wall stopped her falling to the floor.