Chapter Fifty Three

Chapter Fifty Three

Thunder roared from above and lightning flashed behind me as I ran for cover to my car. I let the wind have my umbrella before I dove into the front seat. I drove as if I had plans to outrun the lightning that was striking everything it could reach behind me.

Mitch flicked his lights at me and honked his horn before I realized it was him passing next to me. I slammed on my brakes while Mitch backed his pickup to my door. I hit my window button and watched him hand crank his down.

"I've been lookin' all over the place for you," he hollered over, squinting as the rain splashed against his face.

"I know why she did it," I hollered over his way.

"You mean Angel?"

I shook my head yes and hit the window button after yelling over for him to meet me at the local gossip corner.

Water was running off both of us as we headed for our usual booth. A different waitress from earlier in the day arrived to take our orders. I ordered coffee, not so sure my stomach was ready for even that just yet. Mitch ordered the same.

The minute we were alone, I told Mitch about Joe's will. Angel was after his money. That's why the charade of who she really was. And that's why Ethel had to die. Angel wanted the money all to herself.

"Once I'm arrested for Ethel's murder, Joe will cut me out of the will too. Angel gets it all then."

"After Joe's gone?"

"Right. Oh my God! Do you know what this means? Once I'm arrested and Joe eliminates me from his will-"

"Angel eliminates Joe," Mitch finished for me.

"What are we gonna do?"

"You're gonna go home" I was told by way of an order.

"What about you. Where are you going?"

"I'm goin' to talk to Lewis."

"So am I."

"No. If you go to him with this crazy story he'll think you're guilty for sure."

"Oh, I get it. Hearing it from you is gonna make it credible. Whereas-"

"Get over it, Fay. You re not goin' along."

We left our coffees at the booth without touching a drop. Mitch handed the waitress a couple of ones and didn't wait for change. Then we once again braved the raging thunderstorm outside. Mitch was going to see his lieutenant friend, and I was going home and locking myself inside until I heard from him.