Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Forty-Six

Mitch followed me home. Allen offered to, but was told his services were no longer needed for the night.

It wasn't until Mitch and I sat at my kitchen table sipping coffee that I was reminded, come Monday I could expect to need those lawyer services again. The only reason I wasn't booked for Ethel's murder yet, was because the strand of hair found wrapped around Ethel's fingers was at the crime lab.

The wig found in my garbage can would have to be sent down to see if they had a match. If they did, Fay Cunningham was in serious trouble.

"So I have until Monday then," I repeated as I got up to refill our mugs.

"Unless we can prove the wig was a plant. And that's not gonna be easy."

"Or prove Angel is the real killer," I said, and sat my Mr. Coffee pot back on its burner and reached for the telephone.

"Who you callin' at this hour?" Mitch asked.

"Betsy. She found something out about Angel. Only problem is, we keep getting each other's answering machines," I told him as I hung up on the sound of Betsy's recorded message.

We finished our coffee. How I was going to break the news about the diary to Joe was discussed a little in the process. Although neither one of us knew quite how to approach him on the subject. But he had to be told. He had to be given the book to read so he'd have the proof to back up my words when I told him Angel was not his daughter.

Then there was the possibility Angel would convince Joe the copy I presented him was the forgery. We weren't sure how that would be handled should it occur. Which we were certain would.

We had the night ahead to sleep on it, though. Maybe by morning we'd have that problem figured out. Maybe by morning I'd hear from Betsy and have some background information on Angel that would help solve a lot of things.

Mitch left somewhere around eleven. I locked up the house as he had instructed twice before I walked him to the door, and once again at the door.

Then I headed upstairs for bed. I needed sleep, a chance to recharge the batteries for what promised to be a difficult day ahead of me.