Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

My central nervous system seemed to temporarily lock up on me like car brakes are known to do on occasion. The sound of the back door opening is what unlocked me.

I saw Angel. Joe saw Angel, and his eyes and face lit up like they use to do when he saw me.

"There's my girl," declared Joe, as he jumped up with the energy of a young man, and threw his arms around skin and bones.

All I could do was stand and watch this display of affection. I think my temporary paralysis was partially due to the doll-eyes glaring at me. The other part was because I was totally baffled.

My confusion was soon put on hold when Joe pulled back from her, and looked over at me.

"Fay, have you met Angel?"

I cleared my throat aloud, about to get the letters to a yes to topple off my lips, when Angel answered for me.

"Yes, we've met."

Joe was gently pulled around so his back was to me. I'm sure this maneuver was done so he wouldn't see the threatening look Angel was giving me.

"Listen, why don't you go on upstairs and get changed," Angel said. "Then you can tell me all about your trip."

I can't believe I actually stood there and said nothing while I watched Angel guide Joe out of the kitchen and head him in the direction of the stairs. But I did. I even remained rooted to my position in front of the sink when Angel returned and suggested I stop back at a later time--after Joe had time to rest up from his trip.

Fay Cunningham listened to every word uttered without one interruption. But when Angel finished with me, words were waiting to shoot from my mouth. "Just what is going on around here? And please don't test my intelligence by playing dumb."

"I don't play, Fay," I was told in one level breath. "Now I really must insist you leave."

The door was held for my exit. One I didn't want to make, but felt it best I did. Especially after what I had witnessed between her and Joe.

"Okay. You win this time. But I want you to remember, I will be back."

The door swished shut, nearly smacking me in the fanny as I crossed the threshold. I looked over my shoulder several times on my way to the car. I didn't see them, but I could feel her eyes on me. It was all I could do to resist the urge to wave my middle finger back at her before I ducked inside my car.

Steam best describes what I was feeling when I pulled away from Joe's property. I did lay on the horn this time when I drove off. At the stop sign, I banged my hands against the steering wheel a little too hard and gave out an ouch.

I think it was as I began rubbing my palms together to take away the stinging sensation that some of my anger began subsiding. As the anger left, the brain kicked a few things around. I never did get to tell Joe about Ethel. The other woman who put a glow in Joe when she walked within eye range. It may sound cruel, but telling Joe his long time housekeeper and companion had been murdered could just be the answer to breaking whatever spell Angel Adams had put him under.

Rest time's up, Joe. Fay Cunningham's about to pay you another visit.