Chapter Fifty-Nine

Chapter Fifty-Nine

I was at Joe's bedside by the time the sun came up Monday morning. And I kid you not, the sun was up, throwing its brilliant rays as far as I could see.

There were tears shed between Joe and I when I told him the necessary details of the previous night. The gaps in the story were filled in with the horrendous events that led up to Angel's tragic end.

A few smiles were shared too, in appreciation for surviving Angel's lethal plans for the two of us. We agreed that the lives that had been lost were senseless, Angel's included. Although I know I will sleep a lot better knowing that woman will never be a threat to another living soul. I don't know about the dead ones, though.

I left Marie's diary with Joe. And he held it against his heart as we exchanged good-byes for the day.

Mitch arrived at the local gossip corner as I was getting out of my car.

"A little late for you to be arriving for breakfast, isn't it?" I asked with a smile from where I had waited at the restaurant door for him.

"If a certain woman wouldn't keep me up all hours of the night." His comment was followed by a smile before we headed inside to our usual rear booth.

Over a hearty breakfast, we decided that Angel had to have been in my house the entire time the police carried out their massive search outdoors. Mitch then happened to mention the police were producing enough evidence on Angel that I should be cleared from the pending charge of murder by the end of the week.

I certainly hoped so.

Before I left the house Monday morning, I gave Doug a call at his home. He was informed the ankle had mended sufficiently enough for me to deliver papers that day. I decided not to ruin his day by telling him I decided to keep my newspaper business after all. I'd save that news for another day. One when he published something that spoiled my day.

All in all, Monday was a good day. Correction, it was a great day. My daughter was still single and on her way back to college. Joe had survived the attempt on his life. And I had survived, too.

Yes, I was extremely grateful to be outside in the refreshing afternoon sunshine, tossing rolled newspapers onto porches again. Freshly washed laundry danced in the wind from the lines it hung from, making me feel like doing a jig or two myself.

As I headed up the Ferguson's front porch, I reached into my shoulder bag for something other than a newspaper. A dog biscuit was slipped inside the screen door before the newspaper. And as a result, I had gained a feisty little terrier for a friend.

The big black tomcat that prowls outside the video store on the corner of Front Street and Broadway, greeted me with a pleasant meow as I passed by.

"M-e-o-w," I greeted right back.

BOOK TWO: If you want to read more of Fay's amateur sleuthing, you're invited to check out book two, Deadly Arrows, in the Fay Cunningham Mysteries. Information is available on Debra's website. http://www.debralee.net

Debra Lee's Bio

If Debra's in a murderous mood, she might write a murder mystery or a chilling thriller. When there's romance in the air, Debra's been known to pen a love story.

On a personal note, Debra was once a stay-at-home mom, real estate agent and owner of a pizza delivery business. Now she writes full-time. Debra's the mother of two grown sons and grandmother to one grandson and one granddaughter. She shares her home in Pennsylvania with her husband and two felines.

Debra loves to hear from readers and invites all to visit her Web site. http://www.debralee.net