The Wanderer

Waking up from a dreamless rest, you bolt upright where you lay and wrack your brain for memories of anything prior to this moment. Nothing comes to you. Who are you? Where are you? You look around and see nothing but darkness, feeling cool, damp stone underneath your hands when you push yourself up from the floor. You stretch your hands outward, and tentatively take shaky steps. You walk heel-­toe, your shaky legs barely holding up your weight as your hands and eyes scan for anything to grasp a hold of.

You trip and stumble over your own shoe and fall on your face, busting your tooth on the floor. You hold your hand to your mouth and bright lights flash on, blinding you and all your senses. You can no longer feel your hand upon your mouth, nor the blood dripping restlessly from your chin. Dazed and confused, you know you're moving but you cannot feel the floor beneath your feet anymore, or the clothing against your skin.

Your sense come back to you one by one, slowly but surely. You begin to feel the dried blood crusted upon your thicker lip, and you can hear a faint white static noise. Everything that was once all black, becomes all white when you open your eyes to take in your surroundings the best you can.

Your eyes move along the blankness that encases you but you cannot see anything at all. You look down to your body and your eyes widen in shock. You cannot see your hands! Nor your shirt nor pants, but you can feel them brushing against your chest and legs. You can't see your hair but you know it to be long as it caresses your neck, making you shiver as the senses are depleted of anything yet overwhelmed all at once.

Still unsure of who you are, and more importantly, where you are, you slowly begin walking forward once more. Your hands reach out again and you lick your lips, tasting the crusty copper blood that you forgot was on your lip. You keep your hands far out reach of your body just in case and you slip along the slick floor once more, again falling forward. But when you fall down, you keep falling. Air whooshes past you, the roar filling your ears as its usual soft breathe clogs your mind, too loud to hear your own screams as you fall down the pit. On your long journey down, you slowly regain memories. You remember a few birthday parties, your first heartbreak, a few years of high school, and your first (and only) year of college.

You remember meeting a beautiful young woman too. You keep falling down the hole but all your attention is on your memories of this lady. You continue to fall, the cold air now becoming something you're used to. The sting of it doesn't bother you, and the loud oceanic sounds of the air rushing past you no longer consumes your every thought.

This woman does.

You remember the first time meeting her, her long brown hair to her waist, her light freckling across her small, heart shaped face. You smile a little bit and end up flipping over to your back as you continue falling. Is this hole bottomless? You think to yourself but shake it off. At least you have this woman to think of. Your memory continues to come back to you slowly and you remember one thing before you do almost hit the bottom. You were in love with her, you two got married. She was the one to capture you! Your eyes open wide in shock at this realization, but too late. You've hit the ground!

Waking up from a dreamless rest, you bolt upright where you lay and wrack your brain for memories of anything prior to this moment. Nothing comes to you. Who are you? Where are you? You look around and see nothing but darkness, feeling cool, damp stone underneath your hands when you push yourself up from the floor. You stretch your hands outward, and tentatively take shaky steps. You walk heel-­toe, your shaky legs barely holding up your weight as your hands and eyes scan for anything to grasp a hold of.

You can't remember anything but this scenario seems familiar....