26. Protecting her from absolutely nothing

A/N: Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

::

After I got off work and made it back to the dorms, Declan called.

"Hey." I answered quietly as I slipped into the bathroom so that I wouldn't wake Isabel up.

"Hey, I'm sorry I didn't answer before." He sounded tired from the way he talked.

"It's alright. Did you get my message?" I asked and sat down on the edge of the bathtub.

"Yeah, I don't have any plans yet. Do you want to spend winter break together?" I couldn't help but let a smile slip onto my lips.

"I would love that." I said softly.

"What would you like to do?"

"Maybe we could go to a cabin and spend it by ourselves?" I suggested awkwardly. I couldn't believe I was actually taking Bridget's advice.

"That sounds fun." He said with a yawn at the end.

"So, um, when are you free to hang out next?" I felt my face heat up from asking that. I didn't want to come across as being too clingy.

"Do you want to come over tomorrow morning and workout?" I smiled, feeling relief wash over me.

"Yeah, I will be there at 8."

"Alright, see you then. I love you, Goldi."

"I love you, too." I hung up and quickly went back to my bed and snuggled in for the night. I was so happy in that moment.

To love and be loved.

I didn't realize how wonderful that feeling was until I experienced it myself. And it was even more amazing because I never thought I would have it. I didn't even think this feeling was real before I met Declan. I was so thankful to have him and to be loved by him.

He really was the best thing to ever happen to me.

-the next morning-

Declan handed me a towel after we finished our workout. I noticed he was quieter than usual and seemed like his mind was elsewhere.

"Are you alright?" I asked and he looked at me like he had just realized I was there.

"Oh, yeah. I'm just tired. I didn't sleep very well last night." He said, then turned around and started walking. I followed him and when we reached his room I pulled on the bottom of his shirt to make him stop.

"Do you want me to stay here tonight?" I asked and he turned around to face me.

"Yeah." He said and then pulled me into a hug. The way he was holding me, like if he let go I would disappear, made me feel uneasy.

"Declan, what's wrong?" I asked into his chest.

"I just missed you a lot."

"It was only two days." I said softly and he nuzzled his face into my neck.

"I know." I felt something damp touch my skin and I realized they were tears.