13. Protecting her from too many emotions

Declan's POV

As we sat there in that meadow, I wanted time to stand still so we could stay like that forever. She sat between my legs with her back to me and her head resting on my chest as we drank our wine, watching the sunset. I kissed the top of her head, smelling her delicious scent of vanilla and Carmel. I smiled to myself when I realized I had finally gotten the chance to see her with her walls completely down. She held back for so long that it felt absolutely amazing to be this close to her. I felt like I had won a huge battle by going on this date with her. The war wasn't won yet, I knew that. I was still far from getting to where I wanted to be with her, but I also knew this was a huge step for her and I would take what I could get. I wanted to protect her and keep her safe from all harm, especially now that she was allowing me to see the real her. My heart felt so at peace at this revelation.

All of a sudden, her phone started ringing. She grabbed it out of the pocket of her dress and held it up to her ear, still leaning against me.

"Hello?" She answered. There was a pause but then her whole body tensed against mine and she dropped her wine glass, making it spill across the blanket. It felt like my heart stopped in that moment.

Something was wrong.

"I understand." Her voice had become quieter and was shaking slightly. I set my empty glass in the basket sitting next to us and then wrapped my arms around her small waist to give her some of my strength. One of her hands touched my forearm softly and even in this tense situation, her skin tingled against mine.

"I'm on my way." She said lowly and then put her phone back into her pocket. She didn't move after that so I pulled on her to turn her towards me. Her eyes were vacant, as if she was in a different place.

"Goldi?" I asked softly. She started slightly at my voice before looking into my eyes. She seemed like she didn't know what to do with herself.

"My mom." She whispered.

"What happened?" She closed her eyes tightly at my question and her hands balled into fists.

"She's dead..." My eyes widened in shock. I pulled her into an embrace and held her tightly as she buried her face into my chest. She wasn't crying though, she just quietly held onto me. After a few minutes passed, she pulled away and stood up.

"Take me to the hospital please..." Her voice was strained. I stood up and we walked quickly but silently to the motor cycle. I put her helmet on and then my own as she stood there motionless. I got on and then looked over at her but she didn't move. She seemed like she was going numb as her shoulders slumped and her eyes glazed over with a blank look. I pulled her hand and helped her get on the back. I then grabbed her hands and wrapped them around me so she wouldn't fall off. I was becoming more and more worried about her with every passing second.

I drove as fast as I safely could to the hospital. Once we got there, I had to help her off and take off her helmet. I grabbed her hand and walked into the building. I found the front desk and went straight to it but then I realized I had no clue what her mom's name was.

"Goldi, your mom's name." I said softly, pulling her closer to me. When she didn't answer, I put my hands on her cheeks and made her look at me.

"Goldi." I said it stronger this time as I searched her face for a reaction. Her eyes immediately looked into mine with full alertness. I gave her a small comforting smile, relieved that she finally responded. She stared at me for a moment before I let my hands fall and she turned to the ladies at the front desk.

"Elizabeth Hatfield." She said, the strength in her voice slowly coming back.

"Are you one of her daughters?" The lady asked and Goldilocks nodded. The woman started typing into the computer and then looked up at us.