20. Protecting her from acknowledged feelings

The next week, I caught up on my homework and studying. My job, on the other hand, didn't go quite as smoothly. My boss wasn't too impressed that I had missed almost a week of work but she got over it. She didn't have much of a choice since I was one of the only waitresses left there.

I was excited for the weekend since Declan bought tickets for Bridget, Bailey and I to go to his match tonight and tomorrow we were going on a triple date to the ice festival. Bridget was bringing Grant, and Bailey had Ray. The thought of all of us dating at the same time made me laugh but I was also grateful. Being able to share this experience with them was the best feeling in the world and I couldn't wait.

"You almost ready?!" Bridget called to me. I was in the bathroom, finishing up my makeup. I took a big breath and then opened the door, revealing the finished product. Bailey and Bridget both nodded in approval as I walked out of the bathroom. Isabel was working so we had the dorm room to ourselves.

"How are things with Ray?" I asked Bailey. She immediately blushed and looked down at her hands.

"Good." She said quietly and I smiled.

"I'm glad." I told her and she looked up with wide eyes, obviously surprised by my response. I laughed uncomfortably.

"What?"

"You're not angry?"

"No! I...uh." I was at a loss for words.

"Declan has completely changed her." Bridget filled in and winked at me. It was my turn to blush.

"Whatever! We're going to be late!" I yelled and then headed towards the door. They both giggled at me and then followed. We took my car for the 5 hour drive to the arena. It was just starting to snow when we got there. I smiled as a snowflake landed on my nose and melted immediately.

Declan had texted me and asked us to meet him in the locker room before we found our seats. We made our way to the locker rooms but there was a large man standing in front of the door wearing a uniform and I assumed he was a bodyguard.

"Hi, Declan asked us to come see him before the match. Crystal Hatfield." I told him. He nodded and then opened the door for us. We walked in to see Declan sitting on a bench, earbuds in and iPod sitting in his hands. He looked up and as soon as our eyes met, a big grin spread across his face. He stood up as I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Good luck!" I said as I embraced him. His arms linked around my waist and held me tightly.

"Thanks. Cheer for me?" He asked. I pulled away and nodded. From behind me I heard someone clear their throat. I let go of Declan and backed up to see his dad standing by the door that led outside. His face was hard to read and I felt a blush cover my cheeks. This was the first time I had seen his dad since thanksgiving dinner. I didn't know how to act around him now.

"Declan, you need to focus. You're breaking the routine." His voice was concerned and scolding.

"I know, I know." Declan answered and then sighed as he turned to me.

"See you after the match?" I smiled and nodded. Bridget and Bailey both wished him luck and then we waved and left. After we found our seats, we talked until the lights went dim. A spotlight appeared on the announcer and the crowd silenced.

"First, welcome to the ring, Liam Ralston!" A man came from the hallway to the left. His blonde hair was spiked and his green piercing eyes were set on the ring. His song came blasting over the speakers as the crowd cheered.

I Stand Alone by Godsmack

His face made no emotion as he walked to the ring. Once he reached it, the announcer spoke again.