“The only official statement the humans have released is a reminder that all true humans have a Crosspoint tattoo on their wrist,” the screen flicked to a picture of the intricate tattoo. “And that any human without this tattoo is definitely a Rik and should be treated with all caution and reported to the Spo embassy immediately. The humans have jurisdiction to prosecute anyone who removes a Rik from Selta.”

The newscaster went onto another story, and Juliet sighed. “This is going to make it harder to get a ship. People are more cautious for several weeks after a warning.”

***

“No one will risk it,” Karel said bluntly. Sage sat across from him in a small, dimly lit diner. The smell of fish permeated the air... fish roasting, frying, sautéing, and chilling. Not really fish, of course, but the salt water equivalent grown in tanks on the Lower Seltan levels. Sage and Karel sat at one of the many small tables in tiny chairs that put their knees uncomfortably high.

“We must get away,” Sage said. “You see that. Our only hope is to get to Earth and blend in.We just need a ship – ”

“No. Even if we found a pilot and ship willing to take us all, we couldn’t get through the port. The Seltans have set up temporary checkpoints.”

Sage rubbed his forehead. “So we’re back to that blasted tattoo. I can’t believe a little bit of ink is going to be the death of us.”

“It’s the real thing or nothing,” Karel agreed.

Sage was lost in thought, when Karel added, “Why were you so anxious to shut me up, by the way? When you arrived this morning?”

“What? Oh, that’s because the new girl, the darker one – she’s a real human.”

Karel’s eyes got wide. “Oh, really?”

“Yes, really. It’s on her account I’m in a rush. She’s managed to make a personal enemy of Faal of Merith II. If she doesn’t get off Selta soon, she won’t last long.”

Karel raised his eyebrows. “She makes a dangerous resource to cultivate then. Hadn’t you better cut her loose?”

Sage shook his head. “She could be… useful to us as well. But I’m not sure how to make it work.” He pulled out the old token from the embassy, and showed it to Karel.

“The ink is in the embassy. The human hound at the embassy, name of Basher, is looking for us. Mostly looking for her,” Sage said, thinking aloud. “He has access to the embassy and access to the ink... Perhaps, we could use that. Claire could get near him, I’m sure of it, since we have a way to contact him. Perhaps she could get near him and, I don’t know... steal his token?”

Karel stroked his blonde mustache. “How did you turn her so fast? I mean, stealing from her own kind to help you... that’s impressive, Sage. Even for you.”

Sage shifted uncomfortably. “She cares about us. I think she would be willing to help. Stealing the token won’t work though – he’d realize as soon as he got back to the embassy.”

“Maybe we could copy it? It’s the electronic signal we need...”

Sage finished his fish. “I don’t know if it’s possible. Can you check with Mische? She would know if anyone would.”

Karel smiled reminiscently. “We all thought you were crazy, you know. With your fascination in human psychology. But all that testing is paying off for us now.”

Sage frowned. “I regret what I did to those people. The testing was wrong. Claire’s helped me understand people better than I ever did before, without any coercion. She thinks cruelty and captivity are worse than killing.”