Chapter 15: Jimmy Choo's

Krystina

I was never one to primp and prune for a lavish amount of time, but I sanctioned a solid two hours to prepare for my night out with Alexander. I wanted to look perfect for whatever was to come.

I fretted over wearing a skirt that was just the tiniest bit too short and worried about how to tame my crazy hair. At some point during a wild frenzy of ripping apart of my closet in search of the perfect shoes, it occurred to me that I never officially gave Alexander an answer about going out with him tonight and I hadn't heard from him all day. A part of me wondered if I was wasting my time getting ready for an evening that might not even take place.

However, the thought quickly passed, as I felt confident that Alexander was a man of his word. He had said that his driver would be here at six o'clock, and I was sure that he wouldn't bail on me.

Prepared and ready to go, I took the stairs down rather than the elevator, anticipation filling me with a restless sort of energy. I was surprised by how much I was looking forward to the night out, and a giddy smile curved my lips as I made my way across the lobby of my apartment complex. As usual, Philip was at the door to greet me with his friendly smile.

"Looking awfully sassy tonight, Miss Cole. That's the second time I've seen that fancy ride outside. Is it here for you again?" asked Philip, eyeing me up and down with one eyebrow raised.

"It sure is, Phil," I said, blushing under the older man's scrutiny. I tried to nonchalantly tug at the hem of my black miniskirt, feeling very aware of its short length. I got the impression that Phil didn't approve of my clothing choice, even though he didn't comment about it. He was so dad-like, always looking out for the women in the complex. I often wondered if his watchful personality was the reason why my mother and stepfather were so insistent that I lived here.

"Have a good time. And be careful," he warned, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

Why is everyone always telling me to be careful?

"Don't worry, Phil. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

After giving him a reassuring smile, I moved past him and stepped through the door that he held open for me.

I felt a sense of déjà vu as I headed down the walkway. Alexander's driver was waiting for me outside of the sleek black Porsche, just as he had less than twenty-four hours earlier. However, this time, I was taken by surprise when Hale opened the SUV door. Alexander was seated inside the car.

He was looking down at his phone, but looked up at my arrival. I briefly saw a look of relief flash across his face.

Was he worried that I would stiff him?

"Good evening, Krystina," Alexander drawled out slowly.

A bad-boy smile curled the edges of his mouth and his gaze traveled leisurely down the entire length of my body. The heat in his eyes caused butterflies to quiver in my stomach. I nervously tugged down the edges of my skirt. For the second time since putting the article of clothing on, I felt very self-conscience over my bare legs that teetered on heels that were just a little too high.

"Alexander," I greeted, nerves causing my voice to sound slightly breathy.

"You look amazing, Krystina. Stop pulling at your skirt," Alexander scolded, climbing out of the vehicle. Turning to his driver, he said, "I'll call you when we're ready, Hale."

"Yes, Mr. Stone," Hale said all official-like.

So the silent driver was capable of speech after all.