Chapter 16

FLASHMOB 

Tuesday 15 November 

Murphy and his mates were in the IT room today looking at their video site. Apparently it’s not going very well.They’ve only got 609 votes (and 12of those are from me and the FITZSIMON clan under various aliases). Rory has about four different email accounts. Why? I just don’t know. He actually charged me two euros for two votes. Is nothing sacred?

Wednesday 16 November 

3:37p.m.

OMG. Kennedy has actually locked me out of dance class. Oooh, I tell you, that woman is a witch. A horrible, shouty, mean, pointy-nosed, competition-obsessed, knee-slapping and now door-locking WITCH. I was only fiveminutes late and that was only because I had to findMurphy to tell him I didn’t need a ride home. I saw her walking across to the dance room, Murphy actually waved at her, lol, and only got a scowl back.

And now, two minutes later I got to class and she’d locked the door. I gave her my Aisling Hard Stare through the windows of the door but I had to go on tiptoe, which I think made it lose some of its impact. Even so, she didn’t so much as look in my direction–much too busy shouting and ruining everybody’s lives. 

3:40p.m.

Now, I’m gonna miss going through the routines for team selection. And Kennedy needs to decide who to put into the competition team because the preliminaries are just over a week away. Oh yes, the road towards the big old Irish Dance world championship begins. This is so typical.

3:56p.m.

I was telling Ali and Siobhan about KK and I saw them do that raised eyebrows thing about me being late.Apparently I am a little bit late now and then, so I had to promise on my Irish honour not to be late any more. It’s never my fault – I always just seem to be in one place doing one thing when I’m supposed to be in another place doing something different.

These are the changes in my life I’m going to make. All changes to come into effect immediately:

1. Practise for my Irish Dancing and get on to the competition team.

2. Be on time. Have no tolerance for lateness and those who indulge in it.

3. Do not let Killer Kennedy bother me. Rise above it all.

4. Stop taking a walk round the garden to try to see intoMurphy’s bedroom.

8:00p.m.

Ali’s just left. Him and Rory have been working on this ‘HoudinAli’ routine in which Rory puts Ali into a straitjacket wrapped in rope and then locks Ali into a shed. Everyone then counts down from 50 to see if he can escape. Rory has been helping him out – Ali wanted Rory to set fire to the shed to ‘increase the stakes’ but Dad came leaping out into the garden and took the matches off Rory just in case.

Ali’s desperate for the chance to show off ‘HoudinAli’ at a party. We thought after our incredible success of Saturday we’d be booked solid for months. But guess what? Our next kids’ party booking is for … wait for it … six weeks’ time. What? Apparently all the moms of Dublin start planning their parties up to a year in advance. Are these people insane? Have they not ever heard of TGI Fridays? Ali’s furious. He stomped off and all the ties from his straitjacket kept bashing into things as he walked through the house. We all sat in silence fora bit and then Rory started laughing and then I started laughing and then Siobhan said I wonder how many issues of Pulse will be out before we do our next party, and then I didn’t feel so much like laughing again.