The Beginning of the End [1]

Summary: Now that Wendy has made the decision to ally with Minerva, things have gotten tough. Minerva can no longer be killed by a mortal blade, but Jellal can. When King Jellal and his sister Minerva clash in war..it's easy to say that the sides are unevenly matched. Especially now that Erza's defenseless.

(A/N: One scene was taken from Veronica Roth's book Insurgent. I loved it so much I had to use it)

~ ~ ~

"Dark times have fallen again in Fiore," Jellal said, as we gathered around the Round Table. "Minerva's troops have conquered the country Seven. They are travelling towards us, at full speed. This is not just a battle. This is war."

We sat silently. I was dreading what he was going to stay.

"We may not have magic on our side," he continued. "But we will fight with all we got."

"We're leaving for Seven tomorrow afternoon. I expect you to be ready. I'll be busy with the trainee knights. Sieg?"

Siegrain rose from his chair. "Yes?"

Jellal pressed his Fioran ring into his brother's palm. "If I don't come back..You know what to do."

~ ~ ~

"Are your troops strong enough?" I asked.

"Considering this is non-magic against magic..I suppose.."

"If we win this battle, we'll never have to face Minerva again," I said dreamily. "I can picture it- me using a sword and stabbing Minerva."

Jellal pretended to look horrified. "You're so mean, Erza!"

I shoved him as hard I could. "Take that back. Take that back right now."

"Okay, okay!" he said, putting his hands up. "Its just...I'm not very nice either, you know. That's why I like you so-"

"Get out!"

Laughing to himself, Jellal kissed my cheek and left the room.

~ ~ ~

When I woke up from my nap that afternoon, I felt different. I felt..heavy. As if boulders were chained to my feet. Groaning, I rolled over to my side and summoned a cup of water.

Well, at least I attempted to.

"Yhulia!" I muttered. The cup never came.

"What's wrong?" Porlyusica asked. She had been packing bottles of medicine and herbs.

"Fumei!" I shouted, trying to summon flame. But my palm never lit on fire.

"Erza!" Porlyusica exclaimed. "Calm down!"

I stared at her with mournful eyes. "I think Minerva somehow took my magic."

The old woman stared at me in dismay. "You can't go to war with Minerva now!"

"But if I don't go with Jellal, he'll die!"

She looked at me thoughtfully. "If you travel to where magic was born..perhaps you can regain your it again."

"The Crystal Caves?"

~ ~ ~

"She's going to head to the Crystal Caves once she realizes she's lost her magic, my lady," Wendy said.

"I see," Minerva murmured. "Well, then. Would you have the honor of leading my men into battle against Jellal?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Come here," she whispered, holding out her swords.

The younger girl stepped forward boldly, not flinching.

Grandeeney slowly approached Minerva, and the dark-haired woman raised her sword. Grandeeney blew fire, engulfing the sword in flames. Once the fire disappeared, Minerva handed Wendy the newly forged sword.

"A sword forged in a dragon's breath," Minerva said, handing her the sword. "Use it well, my friend."

~ ~ ~

 Jellal was anxious. I knew he would be. That's why I had a plan in mind.

"What if people don't take me seriously?" he asked with wide eyes.

"I know something that'll prove you're a true king," I said softly. I took him by the hand and led him down to the woods.

"Can I tell you a story?"

He rolled his eyes but answered, "Sure."

"Once upon a time, the people of Fiore believed King Zeref was an evil man. Zeref grew upset and believed them. But his wife, Queen Mavis, knew better. She told him, 'Once upon a time, God sent an angel down to earth and told the angel to put the most powerful sword into a stone. Only a good king would be able to pull it out.'"

"And did King Zeref find this sword that was put in a stone?" Jellal asked, becoming mildly interested.

"Yes."

"And did he pull it out?"

I smiled. "Yes, he did. And when he died, the sword magically appeared back inside of the rock. Now, many kings have tried to pull out the sword to prove they are good kings. Some succeed. Some fail."

"Too bad it doesn't exist."

"It does," I said, pointing to the very same rock where I had stuck Excalibur.

Jellal gasped and slowly approached it. "Wow."

He looked up and found a handful of Fioran citizens staring back at him.

"Why are they here?"

"To watch you pull the sword from the stone."

"I can't do that!" he whispered fiercely, pulling me aside.

"Try," I promised.

He wrapped his hand around Excalibur's hilt. I could see him straining to pull it out. I wished I had magic to help him.

"Not with strength. With the mind," I murmured.

And he did. Jellal pulled Excalibur free, raising the gleaming sword into the air.

~ ~ ~

He was still excited when he got back. "Look at this sword it's beautiful!"

Forged in a dragon's breath..

"What should I name it?" he continued.

"Excalibur," I blurted out.

Still looking at me oddly he said, "You know..I'm not that nervous know..Hey! I've got an idea! Want to lead my army with me?"

That's how it was. Not, 'Want to go to the dance with me?' It was, 'Want to lead an army with me?'

I was about to agree, but then I remembered about my lack of magic. I had to travel to the Crystal Caves.

"I'm not going," I said weakly.

Then he said something that hurt so badly I wanted to cry.

"I was just kidding all those times I said you were a coward. You're the bravest woman I know. No, make that the bravest person I know. But now..You really are just a coward."

He stormed out.