Minerva's Bidding [2]

Laxus insisted on carrying Mira the entire way. We decided to walk by foot. Jellal had brought along some men's clothes, for a gift for the sorcerer (aka me). It's a long story, but I decided that I would disguise as a male sorcerer this time. After all, my old disguise has accidentally killed Jellal's father.

"Erza?"

I turned to Wendy, and asked coldly, "Yes?"

"I just wanted you to know that you can trust me," she said quietly.

I paused. "It's hard to believe that. Last year you told me-"

"And I regret it greatly," she said sadly. "I was only fourteen."

"You're still young," I said, amused.

"So are you," she retorted, elbowing me. But I didn't mind. I laughed with her.

But still. The nagging suspicion at the back of my head kept me from enjoying myself. As of know, Wendy was an amazing person. So many people had warned me about her..

I looked away, our conversation ending abruptly.

"What is that?" Jellal asked, squinting into the sunlight.

A large, white thing was flying in the sky.

"It's Minerva's dragon!" Wendy warned. "Duck down!"

We all ducked as Grandeeney flew close to us, breathing fire.

"We need to get Mira to the Cauldron of Arianrhod as fast as possible!" Laxus said. "If Grandeeney's here, Minerva's nearby!"

"You guys go," Wendy shouted. "I'll buy you some time."

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" I asked with concern. But she was already slowly approaching Grandeeney.

~ ~ ~

"Wendy!" Minerva called, touching the younger girl's silky, blue strands of hair.

Wendy stepped away and frowned. "Why are you doing this, Minerva? What happened to my friend?"

"Oh, I'm still your friend. It's you who made the mistake of stabbing me. But you should know, my dear, no mortal blade can kill me. I'm a High Priestess."

The blue-haired girl crossed her arms angrily.

"Tell me, Wendy," Minerva whispered, taking a step forward. "I know the sorceress Zarina is like a goddess to you Druids. Tell me..Who is she? Truly?"

"I know," Wendy said slowly. "But I will never, ever tell you."

She turned on her heel and ran.

~ ~ ~

"She's waking," I said, now disguised as an old man. My voice was deep and weird.

"Who are you?" Jellal exclaimed.

"He's the sorcerer," Laxus said, setting Mira down. "Duh."

"Erza was right when she said sorcerers don't have good taste!"

"Hmph," I grunted, scratching my long white beard. It was quite annoying being an old man.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Summon the Triple Goddess!"

I glared crossly at him.

"Wait a second.." Jellal began. "Where's Erza?"

"YOU JUST NOTICED SHE'S GONE?" I ranted. "WHAT KIND OF FRIEND ARE YOU?!"

Jellal laughed nervously. 

"Just summon the Triple Goddess already," Wendy said, approaching us. Turning to Jellal she reported, "Sire, we have little time. I'm not sure whether Minerva will try to chase us or not."

"You look familiar," Jellal mused, not taking his eyes off of me. "Hmm.."

Wendy stared at me, her expression changing suddenly.

"Uh..I'm the brother of the sorceress Zarina."

"That old hag?" Jellal spat. "The one who killed my Father?"

Wendy raised her eyebrows and said defensively. "Zarina's not old! She's a young woman! In fact-"

"Please, Wendy. Stop," I begged telepathically.

"So it is you..in a disguise?"

"Yes."

"You killed King Faust?"

"It's a long story. I didn't mean to."

Wendy paused before saying, "I wish I was as brave as you."

~ ~ ~

"Yfel gæst ga þu fram þisse lichaman. Biþ hire mod eft freo. Ar ond heofontungol sceal þurhswiþan!" I chanted in my croaky man's voice. The lake began to glow a bright white.

"Now do your part," I ordered, stepping back from the Cauldron of Arianrhod.

Mira's eyes snapped open and she glared at us. "Why am I here?!"

"Mira, step into the water," Jellal said calmly. "I command you."

"I'm perfectly fine the way I am, thank you very much," she retorted, turning around and stomping away in a very un-Mira-like manner.

Laxus caught her around the waist and began to push her into the water.

"Not forcefully," I warned.

"I can handle this," the blonde king said to his friend. He stepped into the water and turned to face Mira Jane.

"Mira," Laxus whispered quietly.

"Go away you idiot," she screamed. "I HATE you. Any friend of Fiore is my enemy. Minerva is the true queen!"

"Mira," he repeated as Wendy, Jellal, and I watched in awe. "Do you remember when I asked you to marry me?"

"I regret saying 'yes,'" she seethed. "How stupid of me."

Laxus remained calm and whispered so quietly I could barely hear. "You told me 'Yes. With all my heart.' Please Mira, come here in the water. I love you."

Jellal looked half amazed, half disgusted.

And slowly, very slowly, Mira stepped into the water, letting the water purge through her body, lifting the possession curse.

~ ~ ~

"You must be powerful, Zarina," Wendy commented quietly.

I smiled. "Wendy, stop calling me that. If someone were to overhear-"

"But that's your Druid name. And I'm a Druid. I miss calling you that."

"I know."

"Alright, then Erza. Remember, your secret is safe with me," she whispered, watching as Laxus hugged Mira happily. Jellal stood close by.

"Thanks," I said, walking up to Jellal. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jellal asked again. "Did that sorcerer hurt you?"

"No."

"Good."

We stood in an awkward silence, trying not to watch Mira and Laxus kiss.

"Looks like we know who the new queen of Bosco will be," I murmured.

Mira.