Chapter 1 (Updated)

Chrythus swam high invisible to all around. Below him he watched Morgella and her youngling swim over the lip of the sheer rock formation. Their descent would take them to Dregorn, a ravine of great depth and dwelling to many asperini, including Nepulus. A pity they sought his counsel, though it was no surprise. The youngling had changed, and of all the living still clasping the use of magic, Nepulus was the only one to be trusted.

The zerlini's which'd helped both, bringing the youngling back from near death, had departed. All but five: the youngling's protector, and four others, connected by blood, or by friendship, Chrythus was not certain. The four were near the surface breathing, and with a ship soring the surface it was a wonder they weren't giving chase, such was their attraction to them, like small creatures to decomposition. The yellow rune clad one swam to join them. The last was his quarry before attempting to take Morgella's young Aquithus bearer. The zerlini was a quick and nimble adversary, one which, if care not taken, could strike him from any direction.

He stayed where he was, hovering out of scent range and let his mind drift. Since he'd smelled the waft of Aquithus on the water, thoughts of his life with Amberline had rushed forth. Of the three mates he'd had in his long existence, she was the one he truly loved. The two before her he'd ended the pairing, not Amberline. He'd been with her in old age and watched her, cradled in his embrace as she let go of this life. He longed for her, could taste the smell of her hair in the water around him. A picture emerged in his mind, of her long, thin hair which ended just beyond the tip of her slender tail. Dappled blue it had been, her tail so soft to touch he'd often nestled his head against it; the feel of it on his cheeks calmed his very core. The memory so fresh in his head, he could almost feel her scales on his face.

'Amberline,' he whispered. 'I'm ready.'

~~~

With Sherez at her side clutching Ethos's bill tighter than she had need, Morg swam down. At her sixtieth stroke into the abyss, lights greeted them – clusters of Wergums with their luminescent bodies showing greens, yellows and reds, were gathered together, much like she had witnessed when she'd first met Ethos's younger vamur Bi. She'd been hungry then, but not this occurrence, thanks to the efforts of the zerlinis. She looked across at the small face which looked nervous and scared, and had Ethos's chin and nose. She would always be grateful to the zerlinis for what they had done to aid Sherez, bringing her back from wherever it was she had gone. Her eyes traced the yellow runes the grey zerlini had left upon her body. What has it done to you? She asked in silence to no one in particular. What must become of you?

Long after the two young murs, who looked too similar to not be family, yet were too close in revolves to be so, and looking to have seen the same revolves of the soltaire as Sherez, had left them, they had happened upon a deep crevice near the rock wall's base – a mere crack in the vastness of this place, and had dived right in, unafraid. She was sure the zerlinis had understood her needs and had led them to that cliff top, and knew they would not lead her to harm. She trusted them.

More clusters of Wergums came into view the lower they swam. In places other such luminous fish cast light for young ones to see at play. Further down faint light showed this ravine to be deep, very deep. She estimated three if not four hundred strokes would be needed to take her to its depths, that's if what she was seeing was the end of it, where the rock she followed would meet the silt.

As they approached the nearest of the clusters of Wergums, cave entrances began. Some were occupied by the small faces of young ones, all others were empty.

A clicking call from above told her the zerlini was not far behind them. She rolled her head to glance in its direction between her wilted dugs. It was diving at a slow pace, ten strokes from her and Sherez. She hadn't noticed before but the zerlini had changed appearance as well. When she'd first seen it, it had been silver shaded like any other zerlini, now a dark shade of blue brought out its own newly acquired yellow runes permeating its whole body. It slowed its pace and righted to a levelled position, and then tilted its body to keep its left eye on them.