Stealing Roses

Vote and comment! Let me know what you think! This is my first real story on Wattpad and I'd really like to get it out there! ENJOY!!!!!!!!

2 YEARS EARLIER

Alex didn’t know why he was at the school play. He hated the theatre, most of all musicals. The school play was always a musical, probably just to irritate all the guys at the school. Maybe he was there because of that girl in the front row, the one he felt so compelled to be near. She had been there for every performance so far. After attending a whopping six in a row, he would rather gouge his eyes out with a rusty nail than sit through another rendition of ‘It’s a Hard Knock Life’. But nevertheless, he was there for her. Alex knew she was only young, fourteen at the most. But she was so pretty, in a cute kind of way. With her thick, pale hair pulled into a ponytail and thin glasses perched delicately on her nose, she probably didn’t even know that she turned heads.

The front curtains drew to a close and the audience stood, cheering and clapping for their precious children, who had barely managed to put together a show. Alex’s eyes never left his young nymph, even as everyone filed out of the theatre, except her. He clambered over to her, trying to avoid the swarm of overly proud parents crowing to one another about their precious darlings. He stopped right next to her and casually leaned over.

“What did you think?” He asked her. The girl’s cheeks turned flaming red and she blinked rapidly.

“Oh…um…well…it was great. What did you think?” She regained her composure, but was still staring at her shoes.

“Musicals really aren’t my thing.” He smiled. “What’s your name?”

“Eve.” She stammered. “And…um…your name?”

“Are you here with your boyfriend?” Eve shook her head, smiling nervously. She didn’t notice how neatly he had dodged her question. 

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” She bit her lower lip, giggling.

“You don’t say. A pretty young girl like you. Well, see you around.” He kissed the back of her hand before turning and exiting the theatre. She seemed taken aback at his abrupt departure, but he knew he had her. He was like a Venus flytrap and she was just another insect marvelling at his pretty colours, before he caught her, never to let her go.

Alex waited two weeks before he let Eve see him again. It was getting dark outside and he had sat in his car for hours outside his school, waiting to see her walk out of the side gate. Finally, there she was. With her schoolbag slung over one arm, she struggled to carry the mass of textbooks weighing her down. he jumped out of his car and rushed over and grabbed the heap from her.

“Let me help you.”

“Oh, thank you.” She squeaked. “Where did you come from?” Her brow furrowed, eyeing the empty street.

“I just finished detention.” She visibly relaxed. “Can I take you out?”

“Now?” The smile she gave him was quite possibly the most dazzling thing he’d seen.  “I don’t know.” Her phone buzzed and Beyonce’s ‘Single Ladies’ started playing. Eve scrambled for her phone before ignoring the call. “Sorry, my friend Rose is calling me. She always bugs me when I study late. I’ll get back to her.”

“Sure.” He walked to his car and placed the books on the roof of the old Commodore. “I’ll give you a ride home.”

“I’m just going to walk; I have a lot of stuff to do.” She reached for the books, but Alex grabbed her wrist, squeezing softly.

“It’s dark and Silver Creek is at least twenty minutes away.” He silently cursed himself for his slip of the tongue.

“How do you know where I live?” She pulled her hand away and took a few steps back before dropping her school bag and turning to run. Alex lunged at her, wrapping his arms around her torso and picking her up in the air, she kicked and screamed, but the streets were deserted, no one could hear her. He threw her into the boot of the car, slamming it down, before jumping in the driver’s seat and pulling away. Well done, a raspy voice called to him. I know, he silently acknowledged the voice in his head. Alex had been hearing Them for years now, the voices. And it had all started with Mother. It seems that way doesn’t it. It always starts with the Mother.