Chapter 39: Best Of Me

I won't make it in time.

"Fuck!" I slammed the wheel in frustration.

I didn't count the number of traffic violations I just committed. I was just focused on getting to the hotel as quick as I could.

Of all the fucking places, the bastard picked one from the city – the city. No wonder he was so fucking cocky on the phone.

I've never been more mentally and emotionally tortured. The thought of that piece of shit touching Halo pissed me off beyond belief.

Her soft pale skin, her adorkable purple eyes, her gentle touch . . .

I stepped on the clutch and changed to 5th gear, swearing to myself that I'd make sure Finn McKinley got what he fucking deserved – be it in jail or in hell.

I glanced at my phone and remembered my call with Clyde. He promised he'd help and do something. All I could do right now was trust him. But then . . . there was another person in New York City that I trusted more than anyone.

I needed all the help I could get.

With a sudden surge of hope, I snatched my phone from the passenger seat and dialed his phone number. I wished to all that was holy that he wasn't busy.

"Yo."

I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Ethan."

"Hey! Been a while, little Oz."

I got straight to the point. "I need your help," I said, trying to keep out the desperation in my voice.

"What's up?" he asked immediately, his tone alert.

"My girlfriend, Halo . . ." I paused, gripping the steering wheel until my knuckles turned white. "She's in trouble. She got – she got kidnapped, man."

"The hell," he muttered. "That shit happens in real life? Fucked up. What d'you want me to do?"

"Motherfucker took her to the city. I'm on my way now but I don't think I'll make it." I took a deep breath. "He's gonna touch her, Ethan. He's gonna fucking touch her," I added, my voice cracking. I rubbed my face with a hand in frustration.

"A'ight, calm down." I heard the juggle of keys from his end, followed by shutting of a door. "You know where they are?"

"The Olympus hotel."

He paused. "I know people from there, I'll make some calls on the way. Did you call Clyde or Annabelle?"

"Clyde. He promised to help but . . ."

He sighed. "Yeah, I get it."

I nodded, even if he couldn't see. He knew how my family ticked. We've practically known each other for as long as I could remember. No need to explain more than necessary.

"Don't worry," he assured me. "I won't let anything happen to her."

This was exactly why I respected him so much.

"Thanks, E."

"Don't thank me yet," he said in a stern voice. "See you."

With that, I hung up.

My thoughts drifted back to the time when I first saw Halo about four months ago. It was so damn unexpected – as if it was planned for us to meet there at the store in that exact moment. Freaky as fuck, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was going with the flow, living day to day without really much thought. Same thing over and over again. I never said it out loud but I felt like my life was pointless. I didn't even realize that I was drowning myself.