1: So You Want To Be a Writer

So, you want to be a writer.

There's good news and bad news.

Bad news: It's unquestionably, devilishly, tremendously difficult. 

Good news: You can make it fun.

How? You need to know what you're doing. How do you know what you're doing? Read my book.

Admit it. I got you there. :D

On a serious note, let me tell you THE BASICS. The basics are very important. Otherwise I would not have capitalized and bolded them. Is bolded a word? Comment below if you found it. Oh yeah, that. I'll throw out a challenge every chapter for any of you readers to answer. You get a like/follow/shoutout each time you answer. There's challenge #1: Find out if bolded is a word. Cite it, please.

Now, back to THE BASICS. A staple part of writing is words ("Really?"). What I mean is, besides word choice, you need to have a good vocabulary. Try vocabulary.com. And no, I'm not getting paid to promulgate their fine and dandy services. That's another thing. I use a lot of big words, too, to help you out with your terminology. You can find a glossary at the end of each chapter.  The last chapter of the book will be a humongous concordance full of palatable locutions (translation: big glossary of tasty words). Mmm! Makes me hungry.

This chapter is mostly an introduction. Not about writing. But I beg you to acquiesce and read the next chapter, where we will actually begin our writing adventure. We'll get into one of the most important things about writing: the plot/idea. 

Also, though, before I finish up and eat lunch (WORDS! I EAT WORDS FOR LUNCH!), I will give you some little overall bits of writing advice, bolded(?):

1. Let people read your work. You need others to critique you. How else will you improve (reading my book, of course)? I can read work, but please, no full novels! Chapter by chapter, guys, and I will not correct grammar. You shouldn't even be reading this if can't press the Shift key.

2. Be persistent. Don't write just because you like the idea of it. If all you want to do is get your ass on the best-selling list, you won't get there. Actually write with intent. Write for the sake of writing, for all I care. Like my title implies, there's a difference between motivation and inspiration. Humankind has began using them interchangeably, but they aren't interchangeable. Motivation is usually false. (Example: I need to write this book! Imagine my name on the best-selling list!) Inspiration is a passion. (Example: This plot is burning me. I need to get it onto paper!) You need to get yourself inspired, not motivated. Once you're inspired, once you have an idea you need to transmit from your brain, down your arm, and onto paper, that's when you start writing. Not when you have false motivation.

3. Patience, young Padawan learner. Writing doesn't go fast. Writing isn't easy. Just because the rest of your life moves super fast, doesn't mean writing will. 

Above all, my Padawan friends, DO THE WORK. Your book isn't going to write itself.

Glossary time! In order as they appear.

Promulgate: promote, make widely known, advertise

Terminology: vocabulary

Concordance: glossary (especially used referring to a Bible's glossary)

Palatable: pleasant to taste, yummy!

Locution: a word or phrase, sometimes a figure of speech

Acquiesce: give in, accept

Interchangeable: able to be switched

Padawan: Come on guys! You know, the little dudes from Star Wars with the teensy light sabers?

The: used the mark a specific noun instead of a generalization

Why did you just read the definition for the? ;)

See you later!