5- Unexpected 'visit'

Start from the beginning

After fifteen minutes of playing with Chum inside my room, the doorbell rang.

At first, I can’t place who might be ringing at that time, then I remembered my pizza.

I quickly got my wallet and counted the bills. I snatched two ten-dollar bills and immediately opened the front door, too hungry that I got really excited at the prospect of eating pizza.

Only it wasn’t pizza. Or the pizza delivery-boy for that matter. 

It was Todd.

And he was there in the front steps of our house, smiling sheepishly with a bottle of wine in his left hand and a bouquet of flowers in his right.

Wait, did I say that right? Or was it just my imagination?

I blinked a few times, still clutching the money in my right hand.

Then I closed the door as fast as I could.

All traces of hunger were gone that instant and my heart suddenly raced on.

As I silently counted to three, I opened the door again.

Slowly this time, to make sure that what I saw was just my imagination.

Okay, he’s still standing there.

His grin was still on.

And he still has the wine and flowers.

Clearly, something was wrong with the picture but I tried to be nonchalant about it.

“Hi Todd!” was what I managed  to say through shaky breath.

“I thought you were the pizza-boy.” and added a contained smile.

One that was not too revealing that I was actually ecstatic to see him.

“I’m sorry, I totally forgot my manners, come in!” And with that, he only grinned and entered the house.

Finally, when I closed the door, I couldn’t help myself from asking him what the hell he was doing at my house at the middle of the night.

A quick glance from my wristwatch told me that it was already 9:45 pm.

Didn’t the guy even have curfew in his vocabulary?

And just why the heck would he bring wine and flowers?

Surely he was aware that those two were connected to one word-romance?

“So, what brings you here?” my hands were both on my waist and I tried to be cocky about it.

“I thought that maybe I could bring this wine for your parents.”

“And this bouquet is for you” he hesitantly added.

He handed me the flowers, so what was I supposed to do but accept them right?

“Thanks. I appreciate this. The flowers are lovely.” I felt a blush creeping on my cheeks.

“And so are you.” He winked. “Actually, erase that, you’re lovelier than a bunch of flowers.”

He took my hand then asked me, “Hey, where are your parents? Would you care to introduce me to them so I may give them this wine?”

“Um, thanks for the gesture and all, but my father doesn’t live with us anymore and my mom is on a business trip in Hawaii. I guess the wine will be put to waste after all.” I said with a shrug.

He still hasn’t let go of my hand.

“This will totally not be wasted if we drink it tonight.”