The Ball: Part 1

After me, father, and Erik get in the carriage, we all just sat there in the carriage in uncomfortable silence. So I just looked out the window at London's scenery. First I see the buildings of Lambeth, then I see the river Thames, then I see the London's rich side. We I assume the place we are in is Westminster, it's very beautiful.

We finally arrive at Buckingham Palace, where the ball is held at. I see a carriage right in front of ours. I also hear a man arguing with a guard, but I can barely hear it. I see it is Mr. Gladstone, then he looks at the carriage that in front of us.

" What in the blazes is our carriage doing here?" Mr. Gladstone says to the guard. I chuckle a little at his misfortune. Father gives me a stern look.

" Emily, we do not laugh at the misfortune of others, even if it happens to the Gladstone's," father never really cared for the Gladstone's, but I think uncle Benjamin would find this very funny.

" I wasn't laughing, I was merely enjoying his.... woes," I smile, and father, and Erik chuckle.

" Oh Emily, you really are a smart arse," Erik says. I laugh.

" I know I am," Erik laughs more. The carriage stops at a guard.

" Tickets please?" the guard says. Father hand the guard the tickets. After the guard looks at them and then let's us pass the gate. When I carriage father and Erik get out first. Then Erik holds out his hand for me to come out. I take it and I exit the carriage.

Father and Erik walk away from me, and I'm left alone to walk in by myself. I see a man in a suit with no hat walking with a woman with a red dress and yellow trimmings. Then I see their faces, Jacob and Evie. I walk up to them. Without Jacob seeing me I go up to him and wrap my hands around his waist. He looks back at me and stairs me.

" Is that you Emily?" Jacob asks. I smile, and nod my head, " You look gorgeous," he components me.

" Thank you," I say. He kisses my cheek and then my lips, then my smile fades thinking about the dress I found.

" Emily, you really do look gorgeous," Evie says.

" Thank you, and you do too," I smile at her, " um Jacob can I talk to you.... alone," I say.

" Yeah, sure," Jacob says, and Evie turns to him.

" Well Jacob, I'll be doing you know what," Jacob nods, and we find a quiet spot in a garden to talk. I burey my face in his chest.

" Emily, what's wrong?" Jacob asks concerned. I look up at him.

" I, well me and Mary, found something today that sort of terrified me," I say.

" Well, what was it?" Jacob says.

" In my trunk, I found a dress that my mother wore when she was pregnant with Erik and I, a pregnancy dress," I explain, " and Mary made a comment about if you got me pregnant and that dress being mine, and I'm not ready to be a mother," Jacob laughs. I look at him.

" So, your worried about that," he continues to laugh," why exactly are you so worried about that?" I scoff.

" Well first off, what if it's not healthy, or what if me or the baby dies during childbirth? I say, and Jacob stops laughing, " Do you now see my concerns?" Jacob nods.

" Well it can't really be avoided," he says, and I nod.

" I know, Jacob," I say. I hold his hand, " well when that time comes we'll know we will be ready,"

" And if we are not," Jacob says.

" Well, we will just have to make ourselves, now will we?" I say. Jacob smiles.

" Come let's get back to the ball," Jacob says. I nod and I follow him. I look at Jacob.

" You look handsome tonight, Jacob," I say. Jacob grins at me.

" Well enjoy it while it last, because you won't see me in a suit in a long time, love" he says. I laugh a little. So we walk back to the ball. Then father comes up to me.