Memories

Emily's POV

As Jacob drives me back to Aleck's shop, I only have my thoughts to keep me busy. I think about when me and my older brother, Erik, were happy children growing up in Scotland. I think about how much fun we used to have, and some terrifying experiences that we had.

7 years ago

" Okay, the game is simple, all you need to do is beat me in a race," Erik challenges me. Erik is about three years older than me. I'm 9 years old.

" Okay, if you think you can beat me," I grin at him. I have high hopes that I can beat him in a race. I'm a lot faster than him, and he knows it. We go outside to a place beside the river.

 " Alright, the first person to reach the huge rock at the end is the winner," I say, he nods then he counts down.

"3, 2, 1, GO!" He yells go, we start the race, even with my dress and shoes I still run faster than him. I almost reach the rock until I trip over a rock. I fall down, and fall into the river.

" EMILY!" I hear Erik yell. I try to keep my head above the water, but my dress is too heavy, also I can't swim very well. The current of the river pulls me downstream.

" Erik, help!" I yell for him. I see Erik running and then jumps into the river. Not too long after he reaches me, and he tries to get to shore, but he can't, the current is too strong. We try to stay afloat, we stay like that for a good 5 minutes, but then the current settles. We finally get to shore, Erik tries to help me stand up, I manage but I groan in pain from my ankle.

" What's wrong, Erik says concerned.

" My ankle," I whimper. He takes a look at it.

" Emily, I think you may have sprained your ankle. I nod at him. He helps me stand, then we go home.

Present

As I think about that, I smile at the memory, even though it was a bad one. I chuckle at the fact that I tripped over a rock.

Jacob stops at uncle's shop. He jumps of the carriage and opens the door for me and he holds his hand out to me. I smile, " Thank you," I say, as I was about to step out of the carriage, Jacob grabs my waist and brings me in for a kiss. He eventually puts me down and sadly ends the kiss. With his arm around me we go inside uncle's shop. But I don't see him anywhere.

" Uncle, I'm home," I call out for him. I shrug, he's not home. I look on the table and see a note.

Emily,

Me and Mary went to the train station  in Whitechapel, to pick up Erik and your father,we will be back soon.

Your Uncle,

Alexander

I read his note, I completely forgot about Erik and father coming.