Space stowaway

The emergency lights turned on automatically near the exit doors casting the room in an array of long odd shadows leaving just enough to barely see. DJ worked his way to the control console his arms outstretched hoping to feel the workstation. His knuckles hit the rounded edge of the  cold metallic table. On the surface his fingers lightly skimmed over the  various control buttons trying to find something that worked.
      "The whole console is dead! This can't be right the back-up is supposed to kick in by now."
      "I'm going to check the generator room." I offered.
      "I'll go with you." Added Jake.
      Reese opted to stay and try to find an emergency transmitter. "Just in case." Once activated it could send a distress call to Phobos informing them of our exact location. Standard operating procedure in any abnormal circumstance in space.
       I picked up a green canvas tool pouch and a flashlight before we both made our way to the Primary Generator Room. Inside I was relieved to hear the chugging sound of the ships oxygen generator still running. The room air was still warm but the main lights were off. Behind me I heard the soft click of the door closing behind us.

      A yellow strobe was flashing at the far corner indicating some machine was in trouble status. As we entered the room further I saw a pair of eyes turn away quickly and hide behind a bank of batteries. Looking to Jake I could tell he had seen it too. He quietly motioned for me to go forward as he veered off to the right. Flashlight in hand trying to act normal. I made my way to the battery rack and stopped short as if I was checking the power switches.

     Noticing Jake creeping slowly by Primary Generator#3. I attempted to make a false comm call to disguise the sound of his footsteps.

     "OK Control I don't have any alarms in Primary. Can you  have them do a quick diagnostic on the communications again?" I spoke aloud into my Comm without keying.
       Just then I  saw Jake swing a heavy 3 foot pipe down. I heard a distinct crack as it made contact on someone's helmet. I turned my flashlight in that direction just in time to see a body slump to the floor.
         The head hit the ground and a helmet slid off. A mass of long blond hair fell out revealing an unconscious female. She was slightly built and attractive even wearing the normally  bulky unmarked brown fatigue uniform of the mercs. Her gloves were torn in several places and had  dried blood stains on them.
         Jake was poised and about to strike again but I raised my hand as I poked with the flashlight.
         "No need for that I think she's unconscious" I said.
         "Well we've got to tie her down with something."
        "Do we have something in the tool bag ?"
        "Will oversized tie wraps do?"
         "It will have to do."

         Searching the power distribution panels we found which ones were manually shut off and began switching  circuits back on slowly.

        My Comm came alive as I heard "Lights are on in control! What was it Joe?"
       "Well we found a stowaway and she'd shut off a few circuits"
       "Uh .........Did you say 'she' ?"
       "Not to worry she must've known just enough not to kill the life support systems. And yes we have it all under control for now. Must be one of those rebel mercenaries."
       DJ popped into the room silently, gun in hand as his eyes scanned the room  from side to side before making his presence known.
      "Anyone else here?"he whispered.
      "Sorry to disappoint it's an invasion party of one as far as we know."

      He looked at the unconscious bloody form on the floor. Leaning down he started to check for weapons and identification. He came up with a small ledger from a vest pocket. Out dropped 2 pictures, a card and a small bag of capsules . Digging further he pulled out a dry water can and a fully loaded pistol.
        "So that's what Twister looks like." I said as I picked up the small plastic bag. It was just a  handful of yellow colored pills that  Mercs routinely gave their lives for.
        "That's MINE !" yelled our prisoner. Startling everyone in the room. She squirmed on the floor trying to break free from the tie wraps.
         "Well at least we know she speaks English"  Raising the pipe once more Jake hit her again. Enough that she went unconscious and slumped down against the wall. Leaning down cautiously DJ reached for her wrist and checked for a pulse.

       "She's still alive."

        Gathering her things I stuffed them into my oversized vest pockets.