Chapter 15: Down Day (edited)

Start from the beginning

"Leave me alone," I coughed, turned then pushed him away.

"Or what, Noah going to beat me up?" Connor teased.

"I don't need anyone to fight my battles!" I shouted, getting a few looks from people. I lowered my voice and repeated, "I don't need anyone to fight my battles. I'm not as helpless as you think." I stood on my tiptoes and whispered in his ear, "You're nothing. You think you're little taunting will scare me? You're pathetic. Why don't you run along and learn to be a real man," I smirked as I pulled away from him.

I didn't have time to process his sudden move so I found myself getting backhanded and slamming to the ground. Other guys came over to hold Connor back, he was furious. His nostrils were flaring and his eyes held an animalistic look in them. I just don't care about anything anymore.

I attempted to stand up but my legs faltered. Red drops of blood leaked from my swollen lip but all I did was laugh. I didn't care that they were all looking at me. "Let him go," I laughed. "That piece of shit can't do anything to me," I sat crossed-legged. "Come down to my level you bitch!"

They all looked at me like I lost my mind. As far as they were all concerned, women were supposed to be obedient. However, Connor wasn't my mate. There was no law against cursing him out or clawing off his face...well maybe for the second one.

"You little bitch!" Connor pushed against the guys who were holding him back and charged at me. I sat on the floor waiting for him to do something, anything. I needed to feel something.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Noah stood in front of me. "You think hitting a girl will make you stronger? You're a coward. Fight someone your own size."

"Stay out of this piss ant!" Connor shouted and walked closer to Noah. Noah didn't flinch or step back. "You think just because you got a few hits in last time, you can beat me Daddy's boy?"

"As I recalled, I whipped your ass," Noah smirk. Connor got even closer so that they were now a step away from touching. Both of them had anger pouring from their bodies. Noah's hands were balled into fist and ready to fight. Connor's eyes grew dark and void. This was going to be bad.

"What's going on here?" Mrs. Baxter asked. Everyone turned to her and Connor and Noah pulled away from each other. "Why is that girl in the floor? Why is she bleeding?"

Noah walked over to me and lifted me up like I was weightless. I smiled at him as my legs wobbled beneath me. I was faltering now. I was going to cry. I squeezed Noah's arm, "get me out of here," my voice broke. I could already feel the tears coming.

"Mrs. Baxter, we'll be right back," Noah said as we walked through the crowd. I could feel people's eyes on my back.

I relaxed once I heard the door click shut. I couldn't hold my tears any longer. I clutched my chest as I cried. My breath was coming out in short pants. I leaned against a wall and slid down until my butt was firmly on the ground.

"Mason?" Noah squatted down in front of me. "What's wrong," he rubbed my shoulders.

"I-I can't do this Noah," I sobbed. "I can't pretend to be happy and that everything's okay. My friends are gone. It's just me and Sammy now. Jillian's dead," I choked.

"Who's Jillian?" he sat down in front of me.

"My roommate!" I snapped. "She's dead. And my other friend was sold Saturday."

"I'm sorry Mason."

"Noah, I..." I choked. "I don't want to be here. I will never get to see my mom and dad again. Do you know how that feels?"

"I don't know from experience, but I do know that it has to be rough," he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "So how did she die?"

"When we were trying to escape she was shot in the back. Then Keegan's dogs ate her," I said dryly. "Can you believe that? His dogs ate her. It was disgusting."

"Whoa, why were you trying to escape?" Noah let go of my shoulders. "Do you know how danger that was Mason."

"Well my friend was eaten so I guess I do," I started giggling.

"What's wrong with you?"

"This place is what's wrong with me," I said angrily. "This-this place had taken everything from me. I have nothing."

"You have me," he said modestly.

"And how can you stop me from being sold?" I scolded at him.

"Mason, I-" I cut him off.

"Just leave me alone Noah. I don't need another person in my life only to leave it!" I snapped. I didn't wait for him to answer, I just left.

I went back to my room where Sammy was still sitting on the bed staring blankly at the wall. I sat next to her and did the same. "How was your day?" she croaked. Her voice seemed so withered.

"Well, Noah may never talk to me again, but other than that I guess okay," I sat next to her and fell back.

"Who's Noah?"

"Long story," I replied.

"Mason, I think you should know more about me and I should know more about you," she said in her southern twang. "If I have to be sold then I at least want you to remember me."

"Okay, talk."