4. Unlikely Confession

Lunch that day was perhaps the first time Kevin had ever hit Nat. Well hit would be an extreme word to use. He more...pushed him than anything. Everyone in the cafeteria turned and looked at the tall red head standing over the only openly gay kid in school. If Nat hadn't been Nat, they would have considered it bullying. Nat, however, looked awfully amused. He rubbed his lower back as he sat up. "I see whats happening!" he laughed, standing. He patted Kevin's shoulder. "I'll let you have him first."

Kevin found those words echoing through his head the rest of the day and so on. What did Nat mean when he said he would let him have Double D? And first? He had to be kidding! Was he insinuating that Kevin wanted the Double Dweeb? Not possible. Even with all the feminine features the guy had, he was still a boy, and last time Kevin checked, he was all for girls. Therefore, despite how much those words shook him, he pretended it never happened and focused on football practice that afternoon.

The first couple weeks of Double D's return had been full of excitement that the Cul-De-Sac hadn't had in a very long time. While they usually spent their time inside, on their phones like any other teenager, him returning to the neighborhood re-lit their excitement to get out. They dragged him and his sister everywhere. The first weekend it had been the drive in theater and the bowling alley. Then the second week was some place with a buffet and go-karts.

This weekend, they had dragged him to the skating rink. The girls were once again all over his sister, holding both her little hands as she skated for the first time in her life. She was a fit of excited giggles, making them giggle too. The only one not in the rink was Double D himself. He sat in a booth off to the side and watched to make sure his sister didn't fall and get her, mindlessly drinking something through a straw.

Kevin kept glancing over at him as he skated, looking at his figure, his face, the way his blue eyes wandered. It wasn't until Eddy tripped him and sent him flying to the floor that he snapped out of it. "Really? I can kill you y'know!" he growled up at the shorter of the Eds. Eddy shrugged and stuck out his tongue. "You don't think I haven't noticed you staring at Double D like he's something to eat? Thought a fall would knock you back to sense." With that, he skated off again.

The red head managed to get back up and rubbed his chin where it hit the floor. "He's sooo lucky I don't hit him anymore." he frowned. He left the rink and took off his skates when he was on normal ground, his green eyes once again going to the boy with black hair. Groaning, he walked over and sat across from him. "Why don't you skate?" he asked, leaning back with an arm across the back of the booth.

Double D looked at him with slight surprise at first, his blue eyes making Kevin's heart feel weird for a moment. After a second, he shrugged. "I'm a bit clumsy. My growth spurt came suddenly and I still haven't really figured out coordination, you see. While I can walk perfectly fine, running and things like skating, however...I tend to fall quite a lot, just as you did now." he said. Kevin blushed and felt a twinge of anger that Eddy made him look like a fool. "Yeah, all my fault..." he grumbled.

That's when Double D laughed. No. He giggled. Kevin looked at him and felt himself lose it. "Are you gay?" he asked, quickly realizing that he should have asked something else completely. "Sorry sorry! That came out wrong!" he added quickly. Double D was blushing too and staring with wide eyes. "No, do not apologize. I suppose it's a normal question to ask...."

When he looked down at his hands with that blushing face, Kevin knew the answer. "Sorry dude, I didn't know, it just...came out y'know? There's nothing wrong with that, though! Nat's gay, he's cool enough to hang out with. Wouldn't recommend dating him though. I'm warning you now." he said, trying to laugh it off. Double D's expression changed and made him feel like he said something wrong again. "Wait...do you like him?"

Double D's eyes flashed up and he shook his head. "No! I've spoken to him once and he is not compatible to my liking at all." he said, looking insulted. "If I had to date anyone, I would rather date someone like you." That caused silence between both of them. Their eyes met and locked for a moment, Kevin's with shock and Double D's with regret. "What...what was that?"

When Kevin asked that, Double D stood up and tried to get away, but he tripped over his own feet and fell down.