(Sort of) Prologue Scene 2 (Updated)

The swim had been a long one. The spinning ball of Conzoras; concealing the ancient White Queen, kept a close pace behind. So close, coolness caressed the tip of his tail from the continued movement of bodies.

Ahead, in the almost dark, the ocean floor rose − the lomza's silver rays outlining the rocks gradually got brighter; consuming more of the stones the nearer the surface they lay.

He shifted his body, twisted around and hovered. The spinning bodies brushed his chest before the ball's progress stopped. As the Conzoras swam, they changed course close to his head, parting enough to allow him to see in. The ligphur with her white-blue body came closer. Her dark eyes stared out finding his.

'This is the place,' he told her. 'Over this rise is where the Shimrars dwell.' He had no idea if he was telling the truth, yet had absolute conviction in his voice. All he had was hope: hope that there was asperini hidden here, and hope that they could help him get away from her. If neither, he'd be fodder for her followers.

'Scout ahead,' her voice sung and echoed, with a hint of weakness. She had eaten nothing, and he was left wondering if she had somehow found a way not to? No, everything needed to eat, right. 'I shall await your return.'

'As you say,' he said whipping his tail and turning from her.

Up and up he climbed following the rise in the rock formation. He was thankful she had asked him to look alone. It would allow him to come up with a valid reason, if he failed to find any asperini. It was something he'd considered along the journey, and all he could think of was to tell her they must have all found a new feeding ground and gone to it. It was a plausible truth, though had a massive hole in which she could pick. Why all go? And the answer to this question evaded him. Most sects sent out parties to feeding grounds, leaving the very young and old behind, bringing the food to them. He needed another reason if no asperini were here, but what? Wait, could this be his chance to get away? Could he simply dive out of sight, swim around and get back to Morg and Sherez? He hated not being with them, not knowing if they were safe, and longed to be by their side, holding, kissing and guarding them.

If he did make a break for them would she give chase, find and kill him? Kill them all? Not her with her ball, no, it would slow her, but she would send out the Conzoras, and in numbers, and without the bill he'd given to Sherez, he'd be overrun. With no eyes, their other senses were well accustomed to searching the waters, scouting out meals, and he was sure they'd keep up their task, never giving in until they found him.

No, best he stayed with her, least till he found allies, ones who'd aid him.

He whipped his tail a final time, the last push to take him over the ridge.

There was nothing but a great expanse. A few fish clustered in the distance moving away from him. A group of six zerlinis worked the silt, their slim, silver bodies pointed straight down while elongated noses snapped at unseen foes.

He didn't want to go back, so swam on. After twenty tail thrusts, a dark patch, several hundred strokes long, twenty wide, came into view, a ravine. Could it hold the asperini he sought? He forced his tail harder.

Before reaching, he swam low, slowed his pace and stopped along the bluff.

He moved forwards steadily, and peered over the edge.

The pit held darkness. All creatures, when they moved their tail created water movements. The guards of Trin had shown him how to feel for them on his face, once he was within a hundred strokes. He closed his eyes and leaned over. Water licked at his face from nose to ear on both sides. They were tiny ripples, enough to tell him something moved down there, but what? He had to get closer. He leaned over some more, opened his eyes, and let his body sink. With his tail held in one place he moved deeper into the unknown using his hands to keep his body from tearing on jagged rock as he drifted. The guards had taught him well. If he could sense the movement of others, they could sense him. Drifting meant he could not be detected, and it could be predators down there. He had to be cautious.

The water chilled the farther he sank. The guards had also shown him how to tell the size of anything that moved in the dark by the water sounds off its tail. Fins running the length of a tail amplified any noise it made. Smaller fins gave higher pitched whooshing sounds. For extra concentration he closed his eyes again, slowed his pace, and then stopped. There were heavy echoes, the kind many bodies made when they moved in frantic bursts, this way and that. He imagined bodies his size in great numbers. His heart thumped heavy inside, its rhythm growing faster. The beating of his muscle dulled out everything else.

In the gloom ahead he saw a cave entrance. Whatever was below hadn't seen him yet or he'd hear many forms rushing his way. Using his hands on the rugged stone, he moved onwards. When he was at the cave's mouth, he stopped and peered in. Nothing but darkness greeted him, and no sounds emitted: it was empty. He moved around it cautiously and continued his controlled fall.

At last the heavy thumping of his heart slowed. The sounds of whatever was here had ceased. Had they seen him? He stopped, listening for the slightest sound, the feeling on his cheek for the tiniest movement.

Nothing came.

He didn't like it. His heart raced, pounding so hard he felt it at the back of his throat. He wanted away from here. He started turning then stopped.

A ligphur swam into view. In the dim light she was just an outline, then more of her features stood out the closer she came. Her eyes were narrow, almost slits in her face. Dark hair danced along her back, her skin was dark matching that of her tail's scales. Even in this light he could tell her skin tone was darker than most. Was she a Hemlor, the green asperini all knew to fear? The ligphur coming towards him smiled revealing dips in her cheeks. It was a warm smile and he relaxed. He had no need to fear her.

He waited, smiled back.

As she neared, her mouth twitched to a hostile growl. She let out a laugh, a seedy sound which made his muscles constrict. Five strokes from him, he saw her full features. She was an attractive ligphur with narrow cheek bones and a small nose. Her eyes though were not nice and they looked at him, hungry for something.

She let out a screech. Though he did not recognise the call, he knew she was attracting attention.

His muscles ached from the long swim he'd endured, but he needed them to work, especially his tail's, to get him away from here fast.

They responded well enough. Before managing his full turn, the ligphur with the fair face was on him, wrapping and locking her arms around his torso-tail line. He whipped his tail, shaking her off. She came at him again. His haspur had taught him never to hurt ligphurs, ever. This was different.

When her fingers reached for him, he whipped his tail at her. It caught her face pushing her backwards. She thrust her tail and back swam in an arch away from him and disappeared from view. Watching her vanish he saw three outlines swimming towards them. Her screech had had its desired effect.

He needed to get away, had to.

Two arms grabbed his mid-section from behind. Fingers locked, she squeezed him tight. She had been quick, expertly quick. He grabbed for her hands, prized them apart, and whipped his tail. After one stroke, they found him again, held him tighter. She didn't try to drag him: all she was doing was holding him. He knew once those others arrived they would have him by numbers.

He had to get loose and be gone.

Prizing her hands apart proved more difficult, she had a bone-strong grip.

Stealing a look he saw the three ligphurs, ten strokes away, beyond them more shapes came, and with a desperate effort he managed to get free. This time he span his body round, looked down at the small nosed ligphur and punched her, not hard, but enough to make her think twice.

It didn't deter her and she came at him again. His aching joints struggled but managed to keep him out of her grasp.

Backing away from her she kept coming. She whipped her tail a hard stroke, and when he pushed to keep out of her reach, he backed into another body. Two arms reached around his chest, and the small nosed ligphur grabbed his tail. She'd done enough. He was too weak to push them off. Then something hard hit the back of his head.

Blackness and silence fell.

w�

***

Thanks for reading. If you read the last novella, now you know what happened to Ethos. Take a moment to vote, leave a comment, and share with your friends.