21

PLEASE MAKE ME SMILE AND VOTE BY CLICKING THAT STAR AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN! :)

When  your crush starts to notice you and you start planning your future in your head, like your wedding, how many kids you'll have... because you know, it's always good to be prepared.

Everyone knew when they started turning the heaters on in the school:

your nose dries up,

your throat feels parched,

your skin feels itchy from the dryness —and if you normally don't use lotion, you can definitely tell because some parts of your skin look like dehydrated snake scales—,

your hair and clothes are full of static and if anyone touches you, you'd hear the electricity crack,

and the air smells like toasted old socks.

It was almost the end of November, and everyone was talking about the dreaded Provincial Exams. We had a little over a month to study for it.

Quietly tiptoeing downstairs so as not to wake up my mom, I followed my nose to the kitchen.

Even though my mom worked all night, she always made sure to cook a full breakfast for me as soon as she got home. She was a firm believer of starting your day with a full stomach.

Glancing at the clock, I noted that I still had twenty minutes before I had to leave. So I sat and ate a typical Japanese breakfast: steamed rice, Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet)—not exactly my favorite but I'll eat it, miso soup, Umeboshi (pickled plum), and hot green tea.

After washing the dishes, I clapped my hands together, and thanked God for giving me the best mom on Earth.

Since it wasn't that cold out yet, I donned my parka but deserted my gloves and hat, grabbed my backpack, slid into my flats, and walked out the door.

Shivered from the cold.

It was colder than I thought.

Shaking my head, I stared at my flats and the exposed skin of my feet, telling myself I was made of sterner stuff and could definitely walk to the school without piling on more clothes.

Hat, gloves and boots are for sissies! You're like Chuck Norris. You don't get cold. In fact, you are the cold.

I let out a sigh, looked up the road.

And froze.

Noah was in front of their house, leaning against the fence.

Trying not to smile.

He looked like he had been watching me all this time as I was arguing with myself like an idiot.

Wait! Was I speaking out loud about Chuck Norris?