20

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE BY CLICKING THAT STAR AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN! :)

"That moment when you realize you're falling in love. And oh s hit you're not the captain of the ship no more because... he is."

Feeling like everything was brighter and colorful this morning, I hopped into the passenger side of our van.

My dad had several private tutoring classes today. His first class was close to my school so he offered to drive me this morning.

"Mrs. Lee called me last night to pick up your soup from the restaurant," my dad said, buckling his seatbelt.

I froze from buckling mine, and the warning alarm started beeping as my dad turned the ignition.

Crap.

"It slipped my mind. Thanks for picking it up," I said carefully, finally buckling my seatbelt.

"It was for Ruth," I explained. "I was going to visit her yesterday. She's still sick."

"Poor girl. Why don't you visit her today? Just get another soup because I ate hers last night."

"Good job, Dad." I paused. "I thought you and Mom were going to dinner last night?"

He hung his head for a second, scratching his unshaven cheek.

"You really should shave, Dad. I could see dust mites building homes in your beard."

He sighed, scratching it again. "I know."

"Mom's mad at you again, isn't she?"

He sniffed. "I forgot dinner. I got caught up with work."

"You're in big trouble." I shook my head. "Honestly, I don't know what she sees in you," I teased him.

He batted his eyelashes. "It couldn't be my well-proportioned gorgeous face?"

"Mrs. Dorothy's pug looks handsome compared to you. I guess it's your personality."

He winked at me. "Don't forget my pure, beautiful soul."

"Now, why didn't I think of that?"

He ruffled my hair as he parked in front of my school.

"No, Dad! Ugh."

I had spent an ungodly fifteen minutes fixing my hair into a smooth straight shiny creation and my dad just ruined everything in two seconds.

"Why are your lips shiny? Were you drinking my flaxseed oil? I told you that's for my cleanse."

I rolled my eyes. It was lip gloss. "Seriously."

"Have a good day in class, chump."

I was just going to kiss his cheek when I noticed his face was pale, with dark circles under his eyes.