Chapter 19 *MEHNDI CEREMONY*

Start from the beginning

"Mom, you are being too nice. I'm all covered," I argue playfully. "But still thank you, I still can't beat you."

"Maliha!" Mom calls her, and she hurries to the kitchen. "Sorry, last-minute touch-up."

"Okay, I just wanted to look at my daughters," Mom says, and smiles at us, her eyes tearing.

"Don't cry, my Mom," Maliha says, putting more emphasis on 'my' than required.

I take the hint and step back unconsciously. "Mom, I'll go and wear my abaya." I leave before Mom can protest.

"Abeer...?" Kareem calls me from the lounge, and I turn to look at him.

"Yes, Kareem," I answer him uncertainly.

"Is it okay if I ask Azar Bhai Jan to play with me at Games Centre?" He asks a bit nervously. I realize he is a little tall for an eleven-year-old. "I mean, it is Mehndi today, so is it bad manners to do so?"

"No, I guess not," I say with a shrug. "I mean, he will be bored anyways today; it is a girl's function mostly. Why are you asking me?"

"Well, you are going to be his wife, so I thought I should ask you," he says as if it is obvious.

For some reason, his choice of words disturbs me. I keep thinking about it as I go and wear my abaya.

Soon we all are ready, and we drive off to the ceremony hall. As we wait for Azar's family to arrive, I silently appreciate the decoration. The curtain drapes are exaggerated and light yellow, which coupled with the sunlight pouring through the windows and clerestories, give an airy and spacious feeling to the hall. There are fairy lights placed along the beams, and some are arranged in a form of trees at regular intervals between tables. Inwards towards the right, there is another small hall which I assume is the sitting area for men, and toward the far left, there is an open space with a comfy carpet where I assume the mehndi will be applied. The management also informed us of the changing and flexible rooms at the back of the stage. The stage in the center seems like an altar, with luxurious upholstered chairs and decoration plants. The entrance where we are waiting has partition walls leading to their hall so that the women can enjoy the function without disturbance.

Azar's family arrives with a lot of guests, and I'm overwhelmed by hugs, and the world starts spinning. Allah please no. Please. I beg you. I pray as I fade in and out of the darkness. Maliha pulls me away from the crowd. I look at her gratefully. "Thanks."

"Anytime," she says, giving a sigh of relief as she lets off my wrist. "Be careful, Abeer, and eat well today, okay?" Concern flashes in her eyes, and I know she is truly worried.

"Yeah." I feel emotional, but I mask it. "I'm fine, Maliha, don't worry."

I can't express how glad I am when everyone stops greeting each other and finally settles down. The men head to their sitting area, and waitresses serve the ladies here. The girls hired for applying Mehndi arrive too, and soon everyone is selecting their Mehndi design from the books.

The guests start arriving too, and Maliha and I have to stand at the door to greet the ladies. Azar and Ahmed stand opposite us, greeting the men. I can't help but notice, the dark green shade of sherwani Azar is wearing. Probably his eyes would be looking greener than usual today.

Abeer! I catch myself, push away the thoughts and ignore Azar completely. After some time, Maliha and I get tired of welcoming the guests, and all the aunties and uncles offer to stand by the door to welcome them instead. All four of us insist that we are okay, but we get a playful scolding for it as we are the ones who are getting married, we need to sit down and relax.