12 | kill

12

k i l l

Something I noticed throughout the time we bullied the bullies was that Alyssa had somehow escaped the brunt of it. Not that I was glad, but I was rather ambivalent towards that fact. She wasn't even hanging out with Mikaela that day since we spoke in the bathroom, proving how badly she wanted to get back her ex-boyfriend.

I hitch up the straps of my bag as I walk down the corridors. Liam's silent and he's got his nose buried in his history textbook, and I keep maneuvering him to avoid him bumping into others.

We finally stop outside the library, where the rest of the members are standing. After our open collision with the football boys in the changing rooms, we've all agreed to travel together, because the bullies might strike at any time.

I look at the group, to see if everyone is here. Suddenly my eyes narrow at one particular girl. Her face is flushed, and she's standing at the very back, as though hoping we won't spot her.

"Hazelle Ronan," I practically sneer her name, and my fingers grip around the collar of her shirt. With one forceful tug, I pull her out from the group. Everyone angrily gasps as they spot her. "What the hell are you doing here?!" I ask, as I hold her against my face.

She timidly mumbles, "they're after me. I - I'm scared."

I let out a shriek of mirth. "So? What are you doing here? You think we're going to protect you? After what you did?"

"Yeah, you leaked out our plan, Hazelle! How could you do that?" Sheila snarls. "And how could you come back here?!"

She looks around contritely. "Please just understand... I've always wanted to be a cheerleader." Tears begin to pour out of her eyes. "I can only achieve that if I had some sort of influence." She looks at me pleadingly. "Please forgive me."

I snort harshly. "You know what you did that day, Hazelle? You not only betrayed us, but you endangered everyone here. Anyone could have been hurt severely!" And the pent up frustration inside, propels me to push her as hard as I can. She falls forcefully onto the floor.

"This is what happens to fence-sitters. You're all bound to fall," I sneer at last. [gif]

"Yeah just run off with your popular friends, Hazelle. We're not cool enough for you, are we?" Bridget asks.

Everyone slowly files into the library, throwing derogatory looks at Hazelle. I push the door open for Liam, however I catch him staring intensely at me.

"What?" I ask with my eyebrows raised.

He shakes his head and says, "no, it was nothing."

Everyone has now gone into the library, so I tug on the sleeve of his sweater. "Liam, tell me! What was it?"

"For a second there, when you pushed Hazelle, you reminded me so much of Mikaela," he slowly mumbles.

My eyes widen, and I take in a sharp intake of breath. "Shit! I was bullying her wasn't I?" I turn back to look at where I pushed her in the corridor. However the spot is empty, suggesting she might have got up and walked off. "I - I need to apologize," I say, my head beginning to feel woozy.

I move away from Liam, ready to search for her, but he suddenly pulls on my wrist with his hand.

"Lyra, calm down. You weren't exactly bullying her." He hooks his index finger under my face, and tips my chin up. "What she did was extremely unforgivable. And it's okay to loose your cool once in a while. You can apologize to her, but you don't have to do it right away."