Chapter 15; We're Just Misguided Ghosts

+++
There is a slight trigger warning for this chapter, I know we haven't done that for previous chapter but, we're starting now so be warned for; non-consented sex, underage, and blood and gore
+++   

     He hasn't told the boy anything, not yet at least. Dallon has just stayed in shower, letting the scalding water run down his back as he cried, the man grips the tiles with his hands although he can never really hold onto them. It feels somewhat comforting as he lets the cries out.  He had almost let the thought of his best friend slip into the back of his mind and then it was back again, knocking at the door of his thoughts. As much as the man didn't want to let the thoughts in, they had crept in from the mail slot that somehow was conveniently on the door that was supposed to keep things out. Like the memory of the say they had moved into their apartment.

    "Dal, just help me push the couch over to this side, it'll look better that way." Ryan whined as he attempted to push the heavy thrift store couch by himself giving up a few seconds after.

    "Can I not finish my beer first?" Dallon laughed as he took another long sip.

    The boys had been carrying furniture that they had bought from the local thrift shop up the stairs all day, and Dallon was exhausted. But, of course, Ryan was in a state of frustration in which everything had to be done now or he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Ryan looked up at his friend who was leaning against the kitchen counter and gave his best pouting face. Letting out an audible groan, the older set down his beer and moved to help with the couch.

"I like the look of this place, it's got a nice aesthetic grunge feel. It'll do just fine." Ryan smiled to himself as he looked around at the freshly placed furniture pieces.

"If by aesthetic grunge you mean thrift shop and cheap, then yes I think it looks decent. You better like it, though, and you better enjoy living off ramen noodles for, like, ever. This place is at the top of our price range." Dallon laughed, retreating back to the alcohol that he left on the counter.

"Don't take a break just yet, mister. We still need to set up the tv and the internet router, we're living cheap, not like savages." Ryan smirked as he moved over to boxes that had yet to be unpacked.

Dallon groaned, but in the end he was glad that his OCD roommate made him do all the unpacking right then. They spent the evening watching random movies on Netflix and joking about what their future would look like.

Dallon felt another sob grow in his throat when he remembered what his friend had wanted to do with his life. Ryan wanted to save people and be on a first responders unit. He wanted to catch terrorists and murderers and people who had done wrong. Ryan wanted to be a hero.

In the end he had died like one, but that didn't make Dallon feel any better about the way he had died. Sure, if he hadn't put his life on the line when he went into that house, Brendon would probably still be stuck inside that horror house with that terrible man. Dead probably, because that man would probably go too far one day and just beat the boy to death.

When the officer stepped outside of the shower and got dressed, he found the boy asleep on the couch, wrapped in a cocoon of blankets. Deciding to let the boy get his rest, went to see what was in the fridge. When he opened the door, the man was greeted with a wave of smells that weren't quite right. When was the last time I cleaned out the fridge, he wondered to himself as he pulled out uneaten leftovers and food that was older than he could remember.

Suddenly, as he was tying the trash bag to take down in the morning, Brendon awoke. His face was pale and he was breathing as if he had just finished a marathon. Immediately, Dallon swooped over and pulled the shaking boy into his arms. Another nightmare, Dallon says to himself, he felt extremely bad because of this, Brendon seemed to never have a break with the nightmares... if only he knew how to stop it.