Any colour I had in my face must have disappeared in that moment. I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Is that so?" Casey's mum narrowed her eyes at Rosie before turning to me. "Do you really think this will make her see any sense?" She turned back to Rosie.

"The girl turned sixteen two weeks ago, correct?" She nodded her head. "Then she is fully aware of her actions therefore she has to suffer the consequences as a reminder to not let it happen again. Same with Everett Parker." Now I understood why our orphanage was so popular. Rosie genuinely loved us kids.

"But that means she'll" Casey's mum whispered and Mr Devile cut her off.

"Be on trial as an adult and not only serve in juvenile detention but she can go to prison." Casey's mum sobbed. "I'm sorry Mrs Fray. But she must understand."

"But, she, at home she's-"

"At home she plots these things. I've overheard her friends talk about it before." I cut in and Mrs Fray looked shocked and even scared.

"You mean-"

"I mean what I said. I can't bear to look at my body because of what she's done. Any future boyfriends will either run from me the second they see my body or forever be ashamed of me if we go out. She knows what she has done and so does he. And if taking them to court is the only way which will make them see sense, then I'll do it."

Mrs Fray looked close to tears.

"Look, I'm sorry that it has to be your daughter. But she never learned. A few years in detention or in jail is nothing compared to the miserable life I'm stuck with." At this, I looked down to my lap and Rosie placed a hand on my knee, squeezing tightly.

"I'll talk to the police, then?" I looked up and watched as Mrs Fray nodded before busting into tears. I felt my stomach drop as Mr Devile nodded to Rosie.

"C'mon Charlia. You're finished for the day."

"Wait, can I go see Miss Lorrell?"

"You've got English after lunch, have you not?" Mr Devile asked and I nodded.

"She looked out for me in class."

"Think you can stand another two hours of school?" I grinned at Mr Devile and nodded before turning to Rosie. Sigh sighed playfully before grinning.

"I'll send Jake to pick you up." I nodded and hugged her as tightly as I could. She returned the hug before I left the office just as the lunch bell went.

Instantly, I went to the canteen and picked up a bottle of water before I went in search of my small patch where I was left alone.

When I glanced at the time, I swore under my breath before heading back to my form room, picking up my kit for P.E and then the bell went, so I headed to my last lesson of the day. English.

Once again, I was the first in the class and Miss Lorrell smiled at me.

"I'll talk with you after the lesson, okay?" I nodded my head just as the rest of the class piled in.

As we all continued working on our scripts, I wondered who I'd get partnered with. Now that Casey wasn't in the school, the boys weren't bothered but the girls were too keen. It was funny to see some of them whispering to each other. Snipets of the conversation got too loud sometimes before they fell silent.

Five minutes before the end of the lesson, Miss Lorrell told us to pack away and that she had a few letters to hand out.

Everyone in the class had received a reply, but me. A few people laughed but they stopped when Miss Lorrell leant on her desk, surveying the class.

"One person isn't receiving her letter from me because her guardian already has it." The bell then went. "Class dismissed." The chatter picked up instantly and I just simply waited as everyone left the room.

"So how've you been, Charlia?" I smiled.

"Better. Spoke to Mr Devile and Rosie as well as Casey's mum and I'm taking her and Everett  to court over this. Jake kept going on about how it was bodily harm and spewing all-sorts. I just wanted to put the past behind me, but I want to make sure no one suffers what I did because of them." I muttered and she grinned at me.

"The bravest ones are those who think of others, not of themselves." I smiled.

"Thanks."

"Not a problem. Let me know if your letter has come through today and I'll see you on Monday, 'kay?" I nodded my head and waved as I left the room, keeping up a fast pace as I made my way to the main doors.

I passed by a small group who started shouting after me, so I broke out into a run and grinned at Jake as he met me and wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Hey, Charlia!" I turned my head and I resisted glaring at Jess and Emma. I turned to Jake.

"Can we go before they try to decapitate me?" Jake laughed and practically pushed me into the car and got in the drivers seat. He pulled away just as the two reached the car and I highfived Jake.

"Score!" He grinned at me and winked. "Now, Rosie has told me everything. Do you want me with you?" I nodded my head almost instantly and he smiled. "Always." He held his pinky finger towards me and I locked mine with his.

When we got back to the house, I grinned at Rosie who handed me an envelope and I felt my grin get even wider if that was possible.

I wasted no time in rushing upstairs and getting out of my school uniform. It was a Friday, I knew that my tormentors would no longer be at school and I got my reply from Alex.

Once I was changed into my sweatpants and Jake's shirt that I'd stolen from him when he first left to go to University, I sat on my bed and opened the letter.

'Dear Charlia,

First of all, you have one rockin' name. S'much better than Alexander, that's for sure. Anyway, it's nice to finally get a letter from you, I was first contacted about this pen pal thing back in August. So you turn sixteen soon, huh? That's awesome! As you know, I'm Alex. I'm twenty four. I don't know if you've got to guess who I am or something? But I'll clue you in. I'm a musician. That's all I'm giving you. I'm living in America, but originally from the UK, so I guess we're similar? Dudette, prom is so much fun, well it was for me. But then again, I was eighteen when I had my prom. US school system and all. I'm coming over to the UK in January, with my bandmates. We have a tour going on so maybe I can arrange for you to come and see us? I don't know. Depends. Anyway, how are you? I wanna know more about you! Charlia, oh Charlia, who writes with ease and is so... I don't really know. I just came up with that off the top of my head. I couldn't think of anything to rhyme with your name.

Chillin' and killin'

Alex'

For the first time in what felt like months, I laughed. It wasn't forced, it was natural and I loved that.

I penned my response to Alex with ease and sealed the envelope before writing the address. It wasn't hard to write when I was more happier. And writing some of my past was usually hard for me.

But I felt okay. I didn't feel sad.

Once I was downstairs, I put on my shoes and opened the door.

"I'm just going to the post box!" I called out before stepping out and running down the driveway. We had a postbox right by the end, so it was easy for me to post the letter than run back up to the house.

Once I was back in, I headed into the lounge and threw myself onto the sofa, my legs laying across Jake's lap causing Rosie to laugh at both of us.

I was content.

vote & comment!

peace, love n tiger stuff xo