Chapter 10

Dan was reminded of the opening scenes in the Pompeii music video while he stood awkwardly overlooking Plymouth beach. The wind buffeted his hair in the same way and reminded him how long ago it seemed it was filmed. His thoughts were interrupted when Kyle came up to him.

"I think you're right."

"What?" Dan asked, confused.

"We should do your plan but I still think you should apologise to Woody."

"Yeah, I know. I've been stupid."

Dan looked behind him to see Woody and Will approaching.

"Look, man, I'm sorry," Dan said.

"Me too. It's understandable though," Woody said back.

"It's morning now so I think we should start looking for some stuff to help us with our little quest tonight," Will told them.

"Yeah, there are some shops down that way," Woody said, being proud of his hometown. "But try not to get recognised."

Throughout the day they wandered the shops collecting things for their coming plan, trying to avoid the busier times with more people. Now, they were sitting in a rundown café in a dark booth. They had the vampire books laid out on the table and were scribbling on scrap pieces of paper.

"So we're going to use the lighthouse, right? Assuming they find us when it gets dark," Kyle discussed.

"Yep. Then use the light to cause them to fall out of the window and into the sea," Dan said, surprisingly looking like an optimist for once. 

But behind his face, Dan had a plan of his own. His sacrifice was necessary to him because he felt guilty about the deaths of all those fans at the concert and he didn't want his band mates to be killed, too. But maybe this plan would work.

After finishing up at the café, they made their way back to the car but something caught Will's eye.

"Hang on," he said as he crouched down and pulled something from underneath the car. It was a small black box with a flashing red light on it. "It must be a tracker."

It clicked into place in Dan's head but it still raised questions. "I didn't know vampires were into technology."

"Who knew?" Kyle said, impressed.

Will walked back to the railing and threw the tracker as hard as he could into the sea. They watched it's little splash in the distance as disappeared from sight.

"Hopefully they'll think we've chucked ourselves in and follow," Will said, joking.