"Are you feeling okay, Dad?"

"Just tired. Must be from the master cleanse."

"Well, when was your last physical?"

His shoulders sagged, his bottom lip protruded and his eyes looked up in the ceiling in such a comical way I started laughing. "Please, not you too. I've had enough of your mom nagging me. You're supposed to be on my side."

"I am. Love you. Bye."

When I entered my class with Noah, my eyes automatically scanned the room.

There was a palpable sense of disappointment when I didn't see him sitting in his spot.

Ever since I met him, I always had this feeling that he was going to leave. Even before he told me about his plans and how much he hated this town.

The truth was I was scared that he would just disappear without saying goodbye.

This was not healthy. I was way more into him than he was into me.

Ya think?

Maybe he wasn't even into me. Maybe he just wanted to be friends.

But last night...

I knew girls were supposed to have a built-in radar when it comes to guys who like them or try to flirt with them.

I was pretty sure mine was broken.

When I heard someone clear their throat behind me, I spun around.

"Hey, Legs."

My hand clutched at my chest.

"They're super weak right now."

What even... ohmygod, girl.

A look of confusion covered his eyes. In the sunlight, the pale and darker blue specks around his pupil were mesmerizing.

I cleared my throat, blushing. "I mean we have to go inside right now. The class is starting."

I proceeded inside without looking at him. When he took the chair next to me, something settled and calmed inside me.

When before there was a feeling of unease mixed with the excitement when he was near, now there was a sense of closeness, something shared between two people.

Last night had changed something between us.

I felt like I knew him a little more than before now.

Mr. Layton strode inside the classroom, his face in a dark scowl. He was clutching his phone rather hard in his fist.

"Listen up, children! Pick a partner. Preferably your seatmate. In thirty minutes, I want you to talk about your plans after graduation. Your goals, dreams. Whatever you think is in store for you out there after high school. Then after that, write an essay about it. I expect a full page of your dreams and goals at the end of class."

And with his phone plastered against his ear, Mr. Layton walked out of the classroom.

Feeling self-conscious, I rummaged in my backpack for a minute, pretending to look for my pen and notebook when I knew where they were exactly. But Noah didn't know that.

I could feel his stare. I knew I was red. My face felt hot.

"What are you looking for?" he asked. "I've got an extra pen if you can't find yours."

"I have—" I cut myself off. "Yes, please."

You obsessed, girl. You're holding your perfectly purple ink pen in your hand.