Chapter 3

Adam's POV:
God damn it I can't believe they would do that to us. Thinking back on it, I thought that they were still our friends, even through all this shit. Last time I checked, Ross and Jin were best friends and Barney and I were like brothers. I don't understand why he would do this to me.
We always told each other everything, and now he's acting like our friendship means nothing to him.
"Hey, Adam!" I yelled at myself. "WHY the fuck do you suck so much ass? Huh, self? What the fuck's your problem?"
Little did I know, Ross and Max were standing in the doorway listening to me.
"Come on Adam, we all know that isn't true," Ross said.
I jumped at his voice. "How much of that did you hear?"
"Oh. Only all of it." Max admitted, starting to laugh.
I felt my cheeks warm. This was really awkward.
"Well pretend you didn't hear any of it." I said and tried to brush past them, but I felt a warm hand grab mine.
"Adam," Ross said again. "Let it go, man. If he really cared, he would have apologized by now. We need to just accept the fact that...we're split up."
We stood there in silence staring at each other. Ross was right. We were split in two.
Team Adam
and
Team Barney.

But I noticed that Max didn't appear to be on a team. He associated with both sides.
"So, Max." I started, about to address this issue. "Which, uh, side are you on?"
"I guess I...don't really have a side." He responded, seemingly deep in thought.
We heard footsteps behind us.
"What do you mean you don't have a side?" Somebody who sounded like Jin asked.
We spun around and saw Jin and Barney on the other side of the room, their arms folded.
My heartbeat sped up. I was scared of what was going to happen.
"I meant what I said, Jin." Retorted Max. "Don't get me caught up in this."
"Yous caught yourself ins this." Barney said, and Max looked hurt. He stared at the floor.
"He doesn't have to choose a side." Ross said defending his friend. "You should appreciate the fact that he is neutral because he would be on our side, and you would be outnumbered."
"Oh, shut up, Ross." Jin scoffed dismissively. Ross's jaw dropped. "We both know that Max would choose us."
"We've known him longer," Ross argued.
"But he hangs out with us more." Jin retorted.
"He records with us more!"
"Well I have Barney on my side!!" Silence followed when Jin screamed this.
Max blushed profusely and my heart sank.
Does Max...like Barney?
No! He can't! He can't do this to me!
A deep hatred formed inside of me.
"Come on guys," I said, longing to be out of this terribly awkward situation. "We've got better things to do."
And Team Adam turned and left the office.
*****
Max's POV:
What the hell just happened?
I was terrified that somebody was going to actually throw a punch. Ross was screaming through furious tears, and Jin had no remorse for what he was saying.

"Don't talk about it. Nobody talk about it." I said, and sprinted to my car.

"But, Max! This is seriou--" Ross tried to argue.

"--DON'T."

I spun around, red-faced and angry. I walked back to Ross.

"I can't deal with this right now." I said with a softer voice, regretting yelling at my friend/crush.

"So you're going to just run away?!" Ross asked me, getting an angrier tone. "You can't just run away from your problems! If you want to fix this, we've gotta do something."

I sighed and continued to walk to my car.

"But this isn't our fight. This is between John and Adam." I said.

"Who are our friends! Even Jin..even if he kind of is a dick..."

"Yeah..." I agreed, finally. "I guess...I just thought that maybe...if I ignored it...then it would just go away..."

Ross's angry disposition subsided. "Max..."

"Well. I'm still going home. I..." And then I realized.
My home isn't my home. I'm staying with Barney.

I was going to have to go to the other side and commit friendship treason.

"Um...yeah. Bye, Ross." I quickly said and dove into my car, slamming on the gas and driving to the next safest place other than my own home.
*****
The McDonald's parking lot was always oddly soothing. I nibbled on a fry while dialing Barney's number.

"Hey..." He answered.

"Uh...hi."

There was a horrible awkward silence on both ends.

"It's okay for me to come home...right?"

He didn't answer at first. My heart pounded and I was ready to drop everything and live in a dumpster, when he finally said something.

"Of course you cans, Max. I wouldnts justs leave you out on the streets."

"Thank you, Barney. This means so much to me."

"See you."

"Yeah...see you."

I hung up and sighed. I felt like crying, but there had bene way too much of that lately.

I grabbed my food and headed home, just wanted to take a shower and a long, long nap.