Cath - Shopping

"Hey, loser," Cath said with a smile, nudging Charlie with her shoulder as they exited the statistical analysis lecture.

"Hey, perpetual annoyance of my life," Charlie replied. His voice was one that always sounded like he was telling a joke, which was probably for the best, because he usually was. Maths had apparently gifted him with the world's worst sense of humour, and Cath was often the butt of it. Even though she knew this, the words stung a little. Just a reflex. She ignored it.

"I've known you for what, a month? How can I be a perpetual annoyance of your life when I haven't been there for most of it?" she asked, wrapping her arm around his and resting her head on his shoulder as they walked. He was short, and she was just above average – it meant that they were the perfect height for each other.

"Careful, Cath, people will think you've finally settled down," Charlie joked. Cath gently unwound herself from him, falling into step beside him.

"Can't have that, can we?" she giggled. "Can you imagine the reaction if people thought I was actually with a guy, though? I think Ben might have a heart attack!" They came to a pedestrian crossing; Charlie stopped, Cath kept walking.

"No lunch today?" he asked her lightly. Cath noticed his eyes drifting to her skinny fat legs.

"I desperately need to do some shopping, actually, or I'll be starving for the next couple of days. Come with?"

"Fine, but only so that I can see your accommodation at last," Charlie replied with an exaggerated sigh. Cath grinned as he joined her on the pavement and they continued walking. "Where too?"

"Tesco."

"Will you buy me food?"

"I will buy you a small amount of food, yes."

"Why didn't you say so?"

"I wanted to see if you were truly entirely motivated by your stomach." Charlie mock gasped.

"I'm hurt, Catherine!" Cath cringed.

"Don't use my full name."

"Why not?"

"Because I asked."

"Not nicely."

"Please?"

"Fine then," Charlie relented, as they entered the automatic doors of the supermarket. Cath was hit by a wave of delicious, tempting smells the metallic scent of refrigerated food. She wrinkled her nose. "I'll go grab my stuff and come find you?" Cath barely even heard him speak; there was a loud pounding in her ears. Not here, not now, she begged silently.

"Yeah, sure," she said aloud, wandering off in the direction of the discount isle. Pots of melon and pineapple, slightly limp spring onions and bags of ready chopped vegetables met her eyes. There was a lot of choice today. She began her methodical search, looking for any with a use-by date after today that had been incorrectly labelled. There was only a vegetable soup mix. The numbers swam in her head. Next stop – the fruit and vegetables that lasted a long time. She grabbed some spring onions, a pack of four kiwis and some pomegranate, just for a snack, not that I deserve it. She then went back to the fresh food isle, picking up and putting back many items before selecting a packet of cherry tomatoes, a lime and a bag of small apples.

Next stop was the ready meal isle. A packet of soup and a healthy living curry was picked up. That will satisfy Charlie, she thought. Her stomach churned at the thought of so much food at once.

Charlie caught up with her in the frozen food section, debating over a box of frozen berries.

"Done?" he asked her.