Chapter 12: Freak in the Sheets

Krystina

When I exited my apartment complex, Alexander's driver stood waiting for me outside of a black Porsche Cayenne. I approached him and I attempted to introduce myself, but he just gave me a curt nod as a way of greeting and motioned for me to get inside the awaiting car.

He was sort of intimidating in an ex-military kind of way, and didn't strike me as much of a talker. He wore a fancy earpiece on his ear that reminded me of the Secret Service and I was afraid to even talk, much less ask him where we were going.

So instead, I sat in silence while we weaved in and out of the New York City traffic, having no idea where he was taking me.

When we arrived at our destination, the driver still didn't speak, but merely opened the door of the car for me. I stepped out onto the pavement and he walked me towards the entrance of a no-named building. I might have been worried about the nondescript place, but I saw lights on in the windows and a polished bar that gleamed under muted lighting. For some reason, I found these little signs of life comforting.

The front door of the building opened suddenly, and a stocky man with curly dark hair stepped out.

"Ah, finally! You are here! Come in, come in please!" the man said with a slight Italian accent. His hands were waving in the air, motioning for me to get inside. His gestures seemed panicked almost, yet he wore a friendly smile on his handsome face. I could only raise my eyebrows in surprise at his overexcited presence. I wasn't quite sure what to make of him.

I looked behind me, but the silent driver had disappeared back inside the SUV, leaving me little choice but to follow the animated Italian through the front doors.

"My name is Matteo Donati. I will be serving you tonight," he called over his shoulder, walking briskly ahead of me. He was moving quickly and I struggled to keep up with him, barely managing to stay vertical in my strappy little four-inch heels. I was already beginning to regret the risk that I took by wearing them.

"Hi, Matteo. I'm Krys– ."

"Hurry along. Mr. Stone is waiting," he said, completely cutting me off.

Heaven forbid we keep Stone waiting.

I followed the practically running Matteo through the vacant restaurant, as if I was late for some monumental event. I truly felt like Alice must have on her adventure into Wonderland, except I was chasing an Italian rather than a white rabbit in to an unfamiliar place.

The restaurant was eerily quiet, and obviously not opened for business. I found myself wishing that Alexander's driver were still here. Ironically, I began to feel nervous over the absence of the brooding man. It was almost like he was my protection in this deserted place. Chairs were flipped up on the tables and there wasn't a soul in sight. The lighting from the pendant fixtures was dim, revealing half finished decorations and empty curtain rods. The shelves behind the bar looked like they had only been partially stocked. The only clue that I would be eating dinner here came from the delicious smell that wafted out of the kitchen, a mouth-watering aroma of garlic and sage.

Matteo paused in an open doorway off of the main dining area, giving me a moment to catch up to him. When I reached his side, he took hold of my elbow and escorted me into an intimately furnished room with soft guitar music playing overhead. At first glance, the room appeared to be set up for small banquets. But upon closer inspection, I realized that this wasn't your normal run of the mill banquet room. The furnishings reeked exclusiveness, the setting more appropriate for high-ticketed private gatherings.

Alexander Stone sat alone at a candlelit table set for two. As I made my way towards him, I was suddenly overcome with anxious jitters and my palms began to sweat. I couldn't fathom why I was suddenly so nervous.