Chapter 20 - Well, this is awkward

"The target is a mobile satellite launch platform: The Lemurian Star. It was sending up their last payload when pirates took them, ninety-three minutes ago." Rumlow informs us.

"Any demands?" Steve questions.

"A billion and a half."

"Dang, why so steep?" I ask, strapping on my boots.

Rumlow glares at me and Natasha sighs. "Answer her question."

"Well because its SHIELD's."

I sigh. "Was that so hard?"

"So it's not off course, it's trespass," Steve says, trying to bring the spotlight off of me.

"I'm sure they have a good reason," Natasha remarks.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor," Steve says.

"Don't worry, it's not that complicated," I reply. "How many pirates are we dealing with?"

"Twenty-five, top mercs, led by this guy. Georges Batroc." Rumlow says, gesturing to the monitor. "Ex-TGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's "red notice". Before the French demobilized him, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?" Steve asks.

"Uh...mostly techs. One officer, Jasper Sitwell." Rumlow says. "They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve questions out loud before turning to address us. "Alright, Lexi, you and me are gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you'll kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to life pods. get 'em out. Let's go."

"STRIKE, you heard the Captain. Gear up!" Rumlow yells, unfortunately in my ear. I squirm away from that section of the quinjet and stand near Natasha and Steve, listening in on their conversation.

"Secure channel seven," Steve says.

"Seven secure," Natasha says, fixing our comms.

"You guys do anything fun Saturday night?" Nat asks us.

"Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so... No, not really." Steve replies, with almost like a half smile.

"Coming up by the drop zone, Cap," Rumlow says. "Hope you aren't afraid of heights Carson."

"Well you've clearly never read my file," I say quietly. Nat hears holds in a snort while Steve just lets out a faint smile.

"You know, if you ask Kristen out, from Statistics, she'll probably say yes," Natasha says to Steve. You know how the two of us have been helping Steve get adjusted to this world? Well......she's been trying to get him a date for a while.

And it really isn't working.

"That's why I don't ask," He responds, signaling me that it's time to jump.

"Too shy or too scared?" He asks.

"Too busy!" He says and we both jump out of the quinjet, diving headfirst into the ocean. I propel myself quickly to the surface, happy to be back in my element. Literally.

Steve pops up a few moments later, treading water in front of me. We both swim over to the side of the boat and with a wave of my hand, I form and ice ladder that scales the side of the boat. We both climb it, Steve taking point and climbing first. Once I get over the side I see Steve hug one of the patrolling mercs to unconsciousness.

 Once I get over the side I see Steve hug one of the patrolling mercs to unconsciousness