Chapter 18 - Blizzard and Last Minute Changes

A/N: THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR 10k ON FROM DEMIGOD TO AVENGER AND 1k ON THIS BOOK!!! I give you a dancing baby groot as a thank you!! Enjoy the chapter ;)

Lexi POV:

"How long do I have to talk to him?" I ask the agent who is supervising Donnie's cell at the F.R.I.D.G.E.

"Just long enough that he complies with you. We need him calm and he is anything but calm at the moment," The agent replies. "This boy could be a valid asset yet he refuses to open up to anyone. Do whatever you would need too."

"Fair enough," I say, before walking into the cell, the door locking me in. Donnie looks up at me with this intense glare then back at his table.

"Hey Donnie, I'm-" I start.

"Just another agent that wants to try and help me." Donnie sneers. "But guess what, your shift is over. Go away and actually get something done. You're wasting your time with me."

"I was actually going to say my name, but if that's what you want to think, fine by me," I respond, raising an eyebrow. He looks up at me confused and I just shrug. "I can't stop you from thinking what you want to think. I can only hope to make you think with a different perspective."

"Why do you care about how I think?"

"Well for one, I don't get out of this room until you do, and second, none of what happened at the academy those weeks ago was your fault."

"How the hell do you know that?! You don't know what I'm going through! You weren't there! You didn't see what I created! What I did! YOU DIDN'T SEE YOUR FRIEND DIE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!" He yells at me.

I take a deep breath and look down. "Actually, I did."

"What?" He asks, confused.

"Except the first time someone I was close to died right in front of my eyes, it wasn't a friend. It was my mom," I sigh. "She knew someone was after her and being a SHIELD agent, I think that must have been a natural instinct to be on alert at all times. I used to thing she was paranoid but now.......now I know why. She got me and my best friend at the time in the car and drove out of the city as fast as she could. Her assassin stood in the middle of the road and shot her right in the head. And there was nothing I could do about it. It's like I was just in the car for the show."

"I'm sorry." He says, looking down at his hands.

"After that day, I made sure that I would be prepared for anything and everything. I promised myself that I wouldn't be as helpless as I was that day. And every day I've been at SHIELD, I work and strive to fulfill that promise."

"Well, at least you weren't responsible for your mom's death," Donnie says quietly.

"And that wasn't your fault either. Seth was the first person to be your friend at the academy, of course, you wanted to do what he said. It's a human instinct to blend in," I say reaching out and placing my hand over his. "You can't change the past Donnie. All we can do is use that for the future."

"Do I even have a future? I killed my best friend, that's on my SHIELD file forever," he asks sadly.

"GET IT IN YOUR HEAD DONNIE GILL, YOU DID NOT KILL HIM," I stand up and say, his head snapping up to mine. His shocked expression follows me as I sigh and sit back down.

"The past doesn't matter anymore, what matters is what you do next. How you rebound from this. SHIELD is going to take a while to forgive you for what you did. But if you work to get better, all things will fade with time. That includes the guilt too." I say, sitting back in my chair, pulling out a couple water bottles from my backpack and a pail.