Chapter 5

EDITED

James sat in the teachers' compartment, watching the scenery go by. It had already been about two hours and had been disturbed twice. Once by a third-year Ravenclaw who was coming to him to get him to break up a fight between the Ravenclaw and Slytherin Quidditch captains, as they couldn't find a prefect, which he'd been perfectly willing to do so, and the other time by a sixth year Hufflepuff asking how much time there was left. Now he was sitting with his back against the window reading through a book that he had gotten from Lily at the end of their seventh year. He hadn't bothered to read it fully before but now that he was reading it again he found it interesting.

James sighed as he heard the compartment door opened again. He looked up from his book hearing a gasp of surprise. "Hermione," James said with a smile, glad it was someone he knew. "Mr Potter! I can't believe it. Does Harry know?" She asked him, completely forgetting why she had come in the first place. "No, I wanted to surprise him with the fact that I'm teaching at the feast." He replied to Hermione with a smile. "Oh, he'll be so happy. I won't tell him I saw you though." She said. James nodded in thanks. "So why did you come down here?" He asked her. "Two things. One, to find out how much time is left, and two, to file a report against Draco Malfoy. He came to our compartment and picked a fight with Harry, not only insulting Harry but you as well, which ticked Harry off. It took Ron, Ginny and Myself to keep Harry from even touching Malfoy." She explained.

James sighed. He figured something like this would happen soon or later. "Thank you, Hermione. There is about an hour and a half left. I'll give this report to McGonagall and let her handle it when we get to the castle." He said to her. Hermione nodded, turning to leave. She paused in the doorway. "Thank you, Professor Potter. Wow, that sounds weird." She said, the last part to herself, before leaving and shutting the door behind her. James chuckled at Hermione's words, leaning back again against the window. He reopened his book, flipping back to the page he'd last been on, starting to read again.

As time passed by, James grew bored, having finished the book. He had taken a nap afterwards. He checked his watch, seeing that there were only about ten minutes left before they pulled into the Hogsmead station. He sighed, standing up and stretching before he made sure all his things that he had taken out of his trunk were put away, his wand the pocket of his jacket. To him, it felt almost as though he was returning to Hogwarts after a couple of years, but in reality, it had been at least 17 or 18 years since he had been at the school.

James let out a sigh as the train pulled into the station, James moved towards the nearest exit, kinda glad at the moment he would be able to exit the train without having to fight the enormous throng of students. Once off the train, James went straight for the teachers' carriage. He climbed in, pausing for a moment, to look down at the line of carriages, hoping to get a glimpse of Harry and his friends. He spotted Harry's friends but didn't see Harry. He climbed down from the carriage, heading back for the train, wanting to do a final sweep of the compartments before going up to the castle.

James climbed back onto the train, checking the compartments for any students who were hanging behind, or who needed help in getting off. He searched several different compartments, before coming across the Slytherin compartment, which the door was closed, unlike the other compartments. James opened the door walking in and almost tripping over something on the floor. He crouched down so that he could try and find what was on the floor.

James felt around with his hand, finding what his foot had hit, he wrapped his hand around it and pulled off what was covering the ground. He found that it was his invisibility cloak, and underneath it was his son. He pulled out his wand performing the countercharm for the charm that Harry was under. He let out a sigh as he helped Harry to his feet. "Why? Why Harry?" He asks as the two get off the train together. "Well, after Malfoy had come to our compartment, I followed him back to his compartment, under the cloak. And well when the train pulled into the station, he let his friends leave, before he cast Pertificus totalus on me, and stomped on my face." Harry said, bowing his head in shame. "Let me see your face, Harry," James said as the two climbed into the teachers' carriage.

Harry raised his head so his dad could see his nose, which was still bleeding slightly. "Episky." James said after pulling his wand out again. "Ow! Dad..." Harry complained raising his hand to his nose. "Would you rather have a broken nose?" James asked, raising an eyebrow at Harry as he put his wand away. "No...." Harry mumbled. "Wait, why are you here Dad?" Harry asked James. "Well, I was going to let it be a surprise to you at the feast but seeing as that got ruined, I'll tell you now." James said as the carriage started for the school, one of the last to leave the station. "I'm the new Defense Teacher." James said. "No way! Really?! Dad that's awesome." Harry said, a look of pure shock and happiness on his face. James smiled. "Yeah, Albus asked me about a week before your birthday and I accepted it. I debated whether or not to tell you then, and decided to wait." James explained to Harry.

"When we get to the castle, go to the bathroom and wash your face off. You have blood down the front of your face from your nose. I'll get you your robes before I join the teachers' table." James said, Harry nodded as the carriage came to a stop at the castle steps. Harry got out first, heading straight for the closest bathroom, to wash his face. James going to where the luggage was stacked, yet to be brought to the dorms. He found Harry's easily, it being one of the first ones near the front. He opened it, taking Harry's robes from where they sat on top, closing the trunk and starting for the bathroom.

He met Harry just outside the door and handed his son his robes before the two potters walked together back to the great hall. James went up to the teachers' table, letting Harry go over to his friends. James took his seat next to Severus, rather unwillingly, the potions master not even glancing at him. James noticed that his old potions teacher was also sitting at the table, and he had to wonder what Dumbledore had planned for the year.