Chapter 4

EDITED

The days passed before it was time for the Trio and Ginny to return to Hogwarts. James had refrained from telling them he would be teaching at Hogwarts. He had asked Remus for countless help on planning lessons as setting up classes. James was currently trying to get Harry to focus on packing, however, the teenager was very determined to not pack his trunk and to hide from James, Sirius and Remus.

Harry was currently sitting with Hermione in her room that she had stayed in. "Harry I don't see what your deal is. Just go pack your trunk and get it done with." She said. "Hermione, I don't want to go back." He complained. "And why ever not?!" She asked him exasperatedly. "Because I'm not ready to leave my dad yet. I haven't had enough time with him over the summer. He was away on order business up until about a week before my birthday." Harry explained. Hermione smiled. "It's sweet that you are so caring. But you do need to come back to Hogwarts this year. I know you don't want to, but we leave tomorrow. I can help you pack if you want, but I'm siding with your father on this one." She said closing the lid to her trunk as she had just finished her packing.

Harry groaned in annoyance, before agreeing to let her help him. He led the way back to his room, opening the door to reveal a half-packed trunk sitting on the ground, open and everything else strewn about his room. "Harry, how messy can you get?" She asked waving her wand which she had pulled out of her pocket. She made it so that his things packed themselves neatly into his trunk. "There." She said with a smug smile. Harry sighed going to sit on his bed with a huff. James appeared in the doorway, not a moment later, looking very annoyed. "Thank you, Hermione." He said seeing that his son's trunk was packed and ready to go for tomorrow. Hermione nodded, going to get ready for bed. Harry copying her, trying his best to avoid his father's gaze.

"Harry, I'm not mad at you. I want you to know that." He said watching his son. "I know," Harry said quietly. "I just don't understand why you didn't want to pack," James said watching as Harry sat down on his bed, staring at the ground. James moved to sit down next to him. He let Harry lean against him, enjoying the fact that he was trusted enough by the young potter to open up to him. "I'm just not ready to leave you yet," Harry said quietly. James sighed. "I understand Harry. But knowing that is a good thing. You'll see me much sooner than you think you will, and Christmas break isn't that far away." James said. "And I'm sure if I can arrange it with Albus you could come and visit every once in a while," James said wrapping his arm around Harry, holding him close.

"Harry, I know you aren't ready to leave me, but I promise, that you will regret not going to Hogwarts this year," James said in his ear. Only Sirius and Remus knew about James taking the position, and he figured that Dumbledore had told Minerva and a couple other of the teachers about him taking the position. "Okay. I'll go back." Harry said, rather begrudgingly, however. "Thank you, Harry. Now come on, into bed with you." James said, ruffling Harry's hair, much to his son's protests at the action. And soon after that, the two potters were tussling around with each other on the bed, laughing and just spending some quality father and son time together. After what seemed like hours, but only turned out to be about ten minutes, the two were lying on Harry's bed, panting and still laughing. "Alright. It's time for bed. For both of us." James said the smile he had during his youthhood present for the first time in a while since he returned from being dead. "Alright, alright. I'm going to bed." Harry said climbing to the top of his bed and pushing his covers back so he could get under them. James smiled as he got off of Harry's bed and walked to the door. "Don't forget, early wake-up, no arguing." James reminded Harry as he watched his son put his glasses down on his bedside before starting to drift off. James closed the door, checking on Hermione before going off to his room and climbing into his bed and drifting off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning James was the first to wake, mainly because he was the adult and had to make sure that Harry and Hermione made it to the station on time for the train, but also himself. He rolled out of his bed, proceeding down the hall to Harry's room. He had to spend five minutes waking Harry up before the teenager realized what was happening. James laughed shaking his head in exasperation at his son. He left his son to get ready, going to see if Hermione was up yet. He knocked on her door receiving a panicked 'Don't come in' from his son's friend. "Alright. Just seeing if you were up." He called back before walking back to his room to get ready.

Ten minutes later the three of them were sitting down in the kitchen eating their breakfast in silence. James kept glancing at the clock, making sure they left with enough time to get on the platform and onto the train. When it was about 20 to eleven James decided that it was time for them to leave, and he waited by the door with the two teens trunks while Harry grabbed a jacket. Hermione was waiting for Harry with James, flipping through a book to where she left off, having forgotten to mark her page. James was staring at the ground before he looked up at the sound of Harry's footsteps on the stairs. "Ready?" He asked as Harry joined them. He nodded in response.

James nodded. "Alright. Grab your trunks before taking my hands. I'd use a portkey, but with all the muggles it's too risky." He explained. Harry and Hermione both did as told and before they knew it they were standing in a small alley next to the station. "Alright. Let's go. The sooner we get to the platform the better." James said leading them to the station. He had his trunk stored as a shrunken version in his pocket. He let the two get trolley's before they headed for the platform. This would be the first time that James would walk Harry through the barrier, however, it would never be the same as it would normally be at the age eleven.

Harry let Hermione go through the barrier first, wanting to let his dad go with him. Harry smiled up at James, James smiling back, as he put one of his own hands on the handle of the trolley and together the two pushed it through the barrier. Harry smiled once they reached the other side. He saw Ron was helping Hermione to get her luggage on the train while Ginny was waiting for the two potters. Harry smiled at her, and she smiled back, before going to tell her mother that they were here. Harry went over to where Ron and Hermione were, him and James getting his luggage onto the train.

Once they all had their trunks on the train, Harry and Ginny went to find a compartment, James walking with them just for the sake of old times. He watched Harry as he connected with his friends, but also some of the resentment that the other students had towards Harry. He stopped outside the compartment that the two of them chose, seeing that they were joining Neville and Luna who were already in the compartment. "I'll see you later Harry. Behave yourself, and if you and Draco can't get along with each other than stay away." James said, earning a groan from Harry. His friends gave him sympathetic looks.

James gave Harry an amused look before turning and walking towards the teachers' compartment. He knew Harry would be confused as to why he wasn't on the platform but knew that would be explained once they were at the school.

A/N~

Does anyone want me to do a sneak peak chapter of one of the future chapters? Just comment on this and I'll do it depending on the amount of comments wanting it.