Chapter 1

Image: Some Jily Feels for y'all.

EDITED

"HARRY JAMES POTTER! GET YOUR ARSE DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Harry was awakened to his father yelling for him. He reached for his glasses, slipping them on his face, and looking at his watch. He groaned in annoyance. 8:30 on a Wednesday morning, in the middle of summer. It was only four days until his sixteenth birthday and he was looking forward to having his friends over to celebrate. He climbed out of his bed, stretching as he stood up. He slowly made his way downstairs, not sure if his father was mad at him, or if he was just trying to be annoying. He entered the kitchen, albeit tentatively, trying to not make a single noise. He could see two open letters on the table, including a badge. "Morning Dad..." He said slowly, James' eyes snapping to his son from where he sat at the table. James smiled, all his pride showing in his eyes. "Good Morning Mr Quidditch Captain!" He said, which confused Harry. "What?!" He asked approaching the table. James placed the letters in front of Harry. One was his school supply list, the other was one saying he had become the Gryffindor Quidditch captain for the next season. "Woah...." He said reading over the letter several times. James smiled. "Now, on another hand Mister," his tone had taken on a more seriousness than before. "Your owl results came as well. I'm mostly pleased, except for the one in History of Magic. A D? Harry that's a core class. Now I understand that you want to become an Auror, but learning about the history of our civilization, and where we come from is important." James said pulling the other letter out and letting Harry see his results from the exams. "Sorry, Dad. It was the exam I passed out in. Where I saw Sirius in the Ministry. I wasn't able to finish the exam." He said sheepishly.

James sighed. "Alright. I understand. But I expect good grades these next two years. I could see your mother being quite unhappy with anything below an E. I'll tell you that. Be glad it's me and not her." He said, frowning slightly at the thought of Lily, as the food was placed in front of the two messy, black-haired males. Harry hadn't even realized that one of the house-elves had been cooking, too worried about his father being mad at him for something. He thanked the elf before he started to eat. "Albus requested that I come and speak with him today. So, you'll be going over to the burrow to join the others while they go and get their school supplies, and you will be too." James said. Harry didn't care that he had to go over to the Weasley's. They were like a second family to him. He smiled. "That's okay dad. I understand." He said finishing his breakfast. He picked up the letters and badge that were his on the table, standing up. "I'll go and get ready." He said before proceeding upstairs to get ready to floo to the burrow. James nodded watching him go. He pulled out the letter from Dumbledore. He read in through once again, unsure of how to handle it.

James,

I know how hard this will be for you, especially with Harry's birthday coming up, but you're needed for a mission in the order. You and Sirius will both be going, that is if you accept. If not, I'll have Remus take your place. I need you to think about this, however, as the mission must be successful, and with Remus' condition, it could not go as planned. Please come to see me at some point today, WITHOUT Harry, so I can explain to you in full detail about the mission. I am truly sorry for having to draw time away from you spending time with Harry. I truly am.

-A. P. W. B. D.

James sighed dropping the letter onto the table and standing up to get ready to meet with Albus. He followed Harry upstairs, to his room, however. He shut the door, his eyes were immediately drawn to the picture of him and Lily together after they got married, his wedding ring, sitting in front of the picture. He refused to wear it. It was too hard for him to handle the emotions that came with it. The loss of his wife, the most beautiful, perfect, caring, and every other word he could think of that represented her. He sighed, letting tears slip down his cheeks. He walked over to the unmade bed, sitting down and picking up the framed picture and staring down at it. "Oh, Lily... We've missed so much. You've missed so much more. We all could use you here. Especially Harry. You'd be so proud of him Lils. He's so grown up. I know you're watching over him from up there. Keep him safe. He needs it more than anything." He murmured, wiping away any of the tears that fell on the glass protecting the picture. He sighed standing up to get ready. He changed from pyjamas into jeans and a simple, yet nice t-shirt. He headed back downstairs, after making sure it didn't look like he had been crying. He found Harry talking to one of the elves, looking truly happy in the time that James had known his son, which, was for less than a year. "You ready to go Harry?" He asked, getting the attention of the two. He smiled, from where he stood in the doorway to the living room. "Oh, yeah," Harry said standing up. James nodded approaching Harry and the fireplace. "I'll see you later alright?" He said, placing a hand on Harry's shoulder. Harry nodded, smiling up at his father. "And behave for Molly." He said earning an eye roll from Harry. "Don't I always?" He said before taking a handful of floo powder and stepping into the fireplace. "Burrow!" He said tossing the powder down and James stood there watching him disappear in the green flames before it was his turn.

He took his handful of powder, stepping into the fireplace and through his handful of the floo powder down. "Hogwarts." He said before he disappeared and reappeared in Dumbledore's office. He stepped out of the fireplace, brushing the soot off his clothes. "Albus." He said, nodding his head in respect. "James, I'm glad you could come. And I am sorry about having to pull you away from Harry." Albus said gesturing to the seat across from him, in which James sat down, almost reluctantly. "Albus,-" James started but was cut off by the old headmaster raising his hand to silence him. "I know James. Harry. You aren't ready to leave him again. I get it." Albus said, earning a sigh from James. "Yes, I'm not ready to leave Harry, nor do I want to leave him. I promised him, Albus. I promised him I would never leave him again. In anyway. I want to be there on his sixteenth birthday. I didn't get to be there for fourteen of his birthdays. I need to be there. I am sorry, Albus, but you'll have to get Remus to take up the mission in my place." He said letting out a sigh of relief that he had gotten that off his chest. Albus nodded. "I understand James. However, there is one thing I would like to ask you to do for me." He said. James raised an eyebrow, curious and intrigued at this, but wary it would involve leaving Harry. "I would like to offer you a job. As our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. It would mean being closer to Harry, and being able to keep an eye on him." Albus said. James nodded. "I'll take it. If it means I can be near Harry." He said quickly. Although Transfiguration had been his best subject in school, he had still received an O on his N.E.W.T.'s. Al us smiled so be it. I shall see you back here on September first, and you shall have a compartment to yourself on the train." Albus said with a nod. "Enjoy the rest of the holidays James." He said before making it noted that James was to leave, return to the manor, and wait for Harry to return from Diagon Alley with the Weasley's.