Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

"Ugly wretch!" They called, "What is a wannabe servant doing here? Especially dressed like that?"

Then, I heard Zoey's voice. I could single her out from the crowd, "Hideous Pig!"

I turned to Dylan. "You said I was beautiful," my voice was quivering.

"I wasn't serious," he barely got the words out because he was laughing. 

Wrapping my arms around my waist, I squeezed as hard as I could, trying to get rid of the terrible, hollow feeling that was now forming in my stomach. I felt sick, like I needed to throw up. My breath quickened. My eyes were wide and I could only look at my now hideous shoes that I was wearing. My hair exploded from the stress and covered my face. The crowd roared in laughter, once again. 

I couldn't think. Everything was blurry. I couldn't tell one person apart from another. My hands curled into fists. I straightened up. The room started to quiet down.

I couldn't see much so I faced toward where I last heard Dylan laugh. He avoided my glare. 

Hell yeah, I'm glaring at you. Don't act so surprised. Don't think cause you have some dumb high position, I'd treat you like a king and let you get away. If you were anyone else, I'd hit you so hard that you would need servants to help you walk to the bathroom. 

When I glare, I glare. It's some scary shit. I can make little kids cry just by looking at them, imagine me glaring at someone. 

I thought just crossed my mind. They knew. The dress I was wearing, the horrible, ugly, awful, beastly dress that looked like someone made it blindfolded, was picked out by Zoey and Lisa. This all makes sense now. That's why Lisa looked at me sadly. She knew I would get humiliated. That's why Rachel wanted me to go. So that Zoey and Lisa would look better.

I couldn't stay here anymore. I grabbed the hem of my dress and ran out. It all happened so quickly. I found myself outside, on the roads, when I realized what happened. I had pushed through everyone and flew through the door. 

I walked around a bit. I was lost. I left my slippers behind because they were killing my feet. It was getting late and the sky was getting darker. There was no one out. A black cat passed by.

I stopped in front of a pond. I looked absolutely loathsome. I covered my face and sat down, underneath a tree. My hair was sticking up in all directions. The dark makeup is used, smeared and turned into green. My dress somehow got torn. I was barefoot and looked disfigured.

I clawed at my eyes. I will not cry. Fuck those rich, idiotic people. They would never understand. Not a single tear would be wasted on animals on them. I scoffed, chuckling at the thought of how they used the same word to describe me. If I'm an animal, what the hell are you? I'll tell you one thing you aren't, civilized. 

Far away, I could hear the faint sound of footsteps. They got nearer. 

Just pass by, I prayed. But they didn't. They stopped right in front of me. I lifted my face, hoping to scare the newcomer. It was Dylan. He stepped back, when he saw my face. He seemed concerned. I snarled at him. He lifted his hands, as if to protect himself. Great, now he's treating me like an animal. 

I slowly got up and walked down the road. He reached out to grab my shoulder. I stopped his hand from touching me. I turned my head, glared at him and walked home. He stood there, speechless.

At home, I slammed the door closed and went upstairs, slowly.

When I got into my room, I ran to the bird and knelt down. The room was cold and silent. My head was bowed down for a while. I looked up, puzzled why the sparrow hadn't made a sound. It was still lying in bed. I took two fingers and started to pet its feathers softly. I stopped halfway. Its body was so cold.

I took the bird in my hands. It wouldn't wake up. She was dead. I placed it back on it's bed and stared at it's lifeless body. Why? Why now? When I need you most? Why didn't you take me instead? I couldn't move. I didn't want to believe it. I resented the idea that she died. Regret came over me. Why didn't I name it? 

I closed the window slowly. I resented that window. It was the cause of death for the baby sparrow and now that I didn't close it the last sparrow froze to death. 

I sat near the window, staring out the window. I couldn't see anything though. The sky was there, but I wasn't looking at it. I was slipping away. I didn't feel sad. I felt numb, without emotions. My dress was still on me, but parts of it lay on the floor. Chunks of it were still in my hands. I was calm. Not happy but not sad or angry. The fact that there were so many unfair things in this world, angered me, but there was nothing I could do. So I sat. I sat there and waited, waited until there is change. I was tired of trying to fit in. Tired that I was the only one trying, yet I didn't get anything. Now, they had to get to me. It's over. I will enjoy every second of your misery. Just try to ask for mercy. I will laugh and ignore you. Have fun without me.