Chapter Four

Shadowpaw flicked her eyes open and yawned. Mistpaw was curled up beside her, snoring softly, and Lightningpaw and Fernpaw were in the other half of the den. Shadowpaw stretched and hissed into Mistpaw's ear. "I thought you said we had to be up at dawn. Now get up, lazy!". Mistpaw mewed, rolling over and stretching. "Fine. Follow me, Darkpelt and Mudstripe will be waiting for us". Shadowpaw tiredly followed him, her fur ruffled and her eyes shining. Soon she found herself in a sandy clearing, Mudstripe and Darkpelt talking to eachother. "Welcome to your first training session with Sandclan, Shadowpaw. I should hope Darkpelt will teach you well. After all, he is very few moons older than you" mewed Mudstripe. Shadowpaw stared at Darkpelt. He looks just like Darkpaw... she thought, tilting her head. Darkpelt dipped his head and shuffled his paws. "We're training you together today because we want to test both of your fighting skills. I assume Shadowpaw had done some training already" he meowed, a glint in his deep blue eyes. Mistpaw smirked at Shadowpaw, un-sheathing his claws. "This'll be too easy" he growled. Shadowpaw flattened her ears and un-sheathed her claws, smiling. "Then you'll be surprised" she laughed. Darkpelt gave the signal to attack, and Mistpaw leapt at Shadowpaw. She swiftly dodged out the way, and bit into the fur on his side. Mistpaw yowled, throwing her off. He again jumped at her, only missing by a whisker. Shadowpaw was out of sight. Mistpaw looked around confused, only for Shadowpaw to attack from behind and pin him. "Pinned you!" she giggled, Mistpaw going red. She let him go and turned to the two warriors. "That was very impressive" Mudstripe stated. The two apprentices smiled, their eyes shining.

"Shadowpaw, you are very swift and are good at dodging attacks. But work on putting more strength into attacks. And Mistpaw, learn your accuracy and learn how to outwit your opponents as Shadowpaw has demonstrated" Darkpelt mewed, licking his paw. Shadowpaw dipped her head in respect, winking at Mistpaw who gushed red.

Shadowpaw leapt at the vole, killing it in one bite. Mistpaw was still mad about losing, but Shadowpaw knew he wouldn't be angry with her. She had only caught three fresh kill, whilst Mistpaw had caught six. Let's face it, I'm a bad hunter. She lost interest and headed back to camp, dragging the fresh-kill with her. Bloodstar greeted her, impressed by what Mudstripe had told her about the training session.

Bloodstar yowled for a clan meeting. Shadowpaw sat next to Mistpaw, who went red at the sight of her. "Cats of Sandclan, today we come out of hiding". The clan yowled in approval. Shadowpaw didn't get what Bloodstar meant, a worried look on her face. Bloodstar's head was held high, her blue eyes shining. "Tonight we go to their gathering".