She wasn't strict to a point where it took the fun out of the lesson, but she was firm. And people just knew not to mess with her because you don't want to face her wrath when she's angry.

I looked down to the paper ball which was sitting on my desk, all crumpled up. I noticed on one part there was some ink, so I slowly opened it up, keeping it at silent as possible.

'Don't run. You've got an appointment after school.'

I couldn't help but gulping.

I felt the panic flood through me as I crumpled the paper up again, my hands shaking as I tried to return to my work.

But I couldn't focus.

Jake was going to ask questions. He was going to storm into the school. She'd get hauled in, her mother would get her out of the problem, I'd get it worse.

I could never win. It was a vicious cycle.

Once the bell went, the class packed away. I took my time with packing my things away, drawing it out as long as possible.

I didn't want to leave here.

"So, Charlia." My head snapped up to Miss Lorrell who had left her desk and she was moving towards me. I waited silently until she'd taken a seat on the desk in front of mine. She guestured to my own desk. "Sit, please."

I did as she requested.

"So, what's up?"

"Well, I want to ask you a few things. Is that okay?"

"Sure."

"Why does Casey continue to throw paper balls at you in some lessons?" I felt the answer get stuck in my throat. I didn't know what to say.

"I, I don't know."

"Are you scared of the repercussions?" Her voice was softer than I'd ever heard. I just nodded my head, my eyes looking down to my hands in my lap. "You don't have to be." My head snapped up.

"But I can't win. If I complain to the school, she gets hauled in and all she has to do is phone Mommy dearest who will get her out of any situation." I snapped. My eyes widened as my hands covered my mouth in shock. "I'm so sorry." I mumbled behind my hands and she simply smiled.

"Don't worry. And she does seem to have a habit of calling her mother in. So I've requested that I deal wth her mother, seeing as she's in my tutor group."

"But, she'll just get me after school."

"You don't walk home, correct?"

"No, but in a month I'll be walking three days a week." I mumbled, my eyes avoiding her gaze.

"How come?" I blinked in shock at her soft and caring tone. Was she the same teacher that my whole English class was afraid of?

"Because Jake is going back to University. He lives on campus during the week and home for weekends."

"By home, I assume that you mean at-"

"The orphanage, yes." I cut her off. I could feel the tears well up. I hated talking about it with the teachers.

"I wish there was something that I could do. But I will be having a word with Casey's mother. Is Jake meeting you after school today?" I nodded my head. "Good. Also, I think you of all people will benefit from the letter project. I have spoken to Rosie and she's agreed to let you correspond without the school inbetween. She feels you're sensible enough to talk to her if anything inappropriate is shared with you." At this, my cheeks turned a light shade of pink as I nodded my head.

"Thank you." I murmured.

"I just want you to at least enjoy the last few months of your high school years. I understand how you feel." I looked at her in doubt.

I really did doubt that people knew how I felt.

"How?" I didn't mean to sound so rude, but how could anyone understand? How could anyone truly know the loneliness I suffered on a daily basis?

"I lost my parents at a young age. I was put into the system and I never left until I got into University." I binked in shock.

"Wait, so you're-"

"Just like you." I couldn't help it. I smiled. "It's why I'm trying to help you. All those times I pushed you, it was because I knew you could do better."

I finally understood why she was so sharp with me. Why she always demanded my attention when she let other kids get away with a lot.

She wanted me to be the best that I could be.

She was the first person outside of the home to even show any care towards me.

"Thank you. That honestly means more than you'd probably ever know."

"Hey, all is not lost. Now, I think you should get going. I assume Jake would be getting worried around about now?" I laughed and nodded my head.

"Cheers miss."

"No problem. You'll be getting your letter back when your pen pal replies. Keep a diary of when you get a letter and when you send a letter. Just so I know, 'kay?" I nodded my head and left the classroom.

I hadn't even made to the main corridor before I felt a hand grip my hair and I let out a yelp.

"You made me waste so much time." I stiffened automatically. Everett's voice was the kind which could be enticing or put the thrill of fear in you.

He was the one person I feared.

"Sorry." I whispered and he just laughed as he pulled me into the cleaners cuboard. No one ever actually used this place. It was neary empty and if you searched in the right places, you'd find condoms and condom wrappers.

You'd also find blood stains.

Pushing my top up, I fought back the shudder as the tip of the blade traced my stomach lightly.

"Looks like I'm going to be making sure that this message sinks in." I bit my bottom lip as the blade pierced my skin and the tears burned in my eyes.

vote & comment!

peace, love n tiger stuff xo