“I’ll tell you that we’re going out of town, but that’s all you get,” he replied, smirking. “It’s a secret, and I plan on keeping it that way.”

I rolled my eyes.  Stupid, secretive men.  When will they learn?

Suddenly, something red was shoved into my face.  I blinked a few times to adjust to the closeness of it, and then asked, “A rose?”

“Yep,” he replied, grinning.

“Cheesy much?” I asked.

“Yes. Cheesy is good, right?” he asked.

“No,” I replied. “No, cheesy is not good.”

“What?” he asked, starting the car and backing out of the parking space.  “Every girl I’ve ever dated loved cheesy stuff like that.”

“Well, I’m not every girl you’ve ever dated,” I retorted, feeling self-conscious.  Was I not living up to expectations?

No, Stella, I thought to myself.  Stop it. You are fine just the way you are. Stop caring about acting cool and be yourself.

I convinced myself that those other girls were just going along with it because they didn’t want to lose a guy as hot as Mr. Donnals, and then I was fine. 

We drove to a little town about half an hour outside Peoria, where no one would recognize us.  I looked around as we drove.  There wasn’t a whole lot, but what was there looked nice.  Quaint, but nice.  I loved towns like these.

“Ooh, look! They have Fright Night at the movie theatre!” I said excitedly, clapping my hands.  Mr. Donnals shot me a concerned sideways glance.  “What?” I asked. “I want to see it. What’s so wrong about being excited?”

“Have you even seen the original? Because you can’t go to see the remake without seeing the first version,” he said.

“Duh,” I replied. “I’ve seen it, like, a billion times. I love old horror movies. I have a collection hidden in my closet.”

My English teacher raised his eyebrows.  “Really? I never would’ve guessed.”

“I’m full of surprises,” I said, smiling.  He grinned back.

“Yes, you are. So do you want to watch the movie?”

I’m sure I looked like a kid on Christmas morning.  “Can we? Oh, that would be so awesome! None of my friends want to see it, so I didn’t think I’d be able to unless I wanted to go alone. And how lame is that?”

Oh dear.  I was getting nervous.  I talk too much when I’m nervous. 

“Sure,” said Mr. Donnals, pulling into the parking lot.  “Let’s go find out when it’s playing.”