Epilogue

"Really, Kita? Who paints a starship black?" Cotton said from the observation deck at the Diamock shipyard.

"It's camouflage."

"We're in space. Nobody has any windows."

"Ok, it'll look cool in port. Plus, it makes those stand out." Kita pointed to two giant feathers outlined in white on the side of Enterprise.

"It's a lot of wasted money," Cotton grumped.

"But you love me, right?" said Kita.

"You should be dropping to your knees thanking me that I do."

"I did that earlier."

Cotton pushing Kita sideways into the railing.

"Hey, if you kill the captain that means I've got to lead this messed up outfit," called Sheppard, coming up the stairs with the rest of Kita's group.

"I thought you weren't going to come," said Cotton.

"We told her the new paint job wasn't going to ruin the ship," said Valor. "I mean, how often is she going to see the outside?"

"It still looks better in red," Sheppard said.

"Well, it's not your ship, it's Cotton's. So I get to do anything I want to it," said Kita.

"That logic is flawed somehow," said Defiance.

"Yet, it works."

"I think it's a very pretty color," said Onyx. "Maybe a little orange here and there."

Warning lights and sirens sounded.

"Wah-hoo, here it goes," cried Valor.

The starship backed out of its dry dock with the help of a small army of tugs. It took nearly twenty minutes for the ship to slip its berth.

"Adventure time here we come," Valor exclaimed as the ship moved away.

"Damn right," said Hawke. "Eight months in port is way too long."

"So where are we going, Kita?" said Defiance.

Kita smiled. "Out where only Valkyries dare."

  I hope you've enjoyed this selection. Rebirth is now available on Amazon at https://goo.gl/pVSef3 or as part of Kindle Unlimited.