Prologue

"Bree, it's time to wake up!" I was rudely awoken by my little brother jumping on the bed. "Momma said to get up."

I opened my eyes, looking at my little brother. "Jamie, I told you to wake me up nicely." I groaned with exasperation.

"Sowwy." Jamie whined, pouting at me with his large blue eyes. "Momma wants you."

"Alright, alright... I'll be right there." I shooed him out of the room, slowly standing up. I put on my overalls, ready for the day.

After slowly heading to the small kitchen, the smell of food hit my nose. "Mmmm, what's for breakfast, ma?"

My mother's shoulder-length chestnut hair bounced as she turned toward me, a small smile on her face. "Eggs and beans. The chickens finally laid their eggs this morning."

Footsteps announced the arrival of my big sister Mary. Jamie was following close behind her, and they both sat at the table. Breakfast was very silent, I looked at the empty seat at the head of the table. I missed my father more every day. He was taken by demons last year, and we hadn't heard from him since.

After breakfast, my mother sent me out to take care of Bessie. We had to live off the land, surviving on as little as we could. We found a small farm deep in the woods. We hadn't seen any demons since coming here a year ago.

Bessie greeted me with a loud moo. I fed her some hay and milked her. The rest of the day was spent doing simple chores around the house. When I looked out the window, I saw the sun had started to go down.

My heart started racing as it did every night. Demons couldn't come out during the day. The sunlight hurt them. Day time was the only time we were safe from them. As we do every night, we hid the animals away into sheds. We were careful to hide any signs that the house was inhabited.

We all sat together in a room, completely quiet and listening for anything out of the usual. Hours went by when suddenly the sound of my nightmares filled the nighttime air. Demons laughing right outside the house. My mother motioned at all of us to follow her.

She quickly tucked Jamie and I into a small closet with downward slits so we could still see. My sister and her both hid underneath the bed. The sound of the door to the house being broken down terrified me. It felt like my heart was in my throat, I could barely swallow.

Jamie was whimpering softly beside me, so I hugged him tight. Motioning for him to keep quiet. I watched out the small hole of the closet when suddenly the bedroom door flew open. A demon sauntered into the room. I had to keep my hand covering my mouth to keep from crying out.

The demon was tall, with long arms. Its legs were long, and its feet had sharp claws. Its eyes were pure black with a red pupil in the middle, making it appear the eyes were glowing. It had sharp, pointy fingers and was clicking them together. An aura of darkness seemed to cover the demon as it walked toward the closet we were hiding in. Horns sat atop its head, with sharp razor-like teeth pulled into a creepy grin.

Before it could reach the closet, a loud thump sounded underneath the bed. The demon turned, heading toward the bed. It easily picked the bed off the ground, cackling when it saw my mom and sister. They screamed, and more demons came into the room.

They all had sadistic smiles on their faces. My mom was quickly captured. My sister tried to run around them, but she was subdued. Before they left, they spoke.

"Are there others?" Their voices were twisted and sounded faint yet sinister.

"No!" My sister yelled.

"They will die on their own."

My sister didn't respond, just glared at them. One of the demons walked toward the closet again, slowly. Right before it got to the closet, another one spoke up hastily.

"We must go. The sun is almost here." It pointed to the window.

The sun rays were visible from behind the trees. Quickly, the demons retreated, taking my mother and sister with them. As quickly as the demons arrived, they were gone. Back to the underworld where they belonged.

We waited for an hour before we came out of the closet. I held Jamie's hand as we walked out the front door. Our farm animals were lying out on the ground, dead. The demons had killed them all.

I dropped to my knees and hugged Jamie tightly. We both sobbed for our loss. Once demons took people, they were never seen again. As the sun rose above us, we cried together. Knowing all we have now is each other.