Chapter Forty-Two: A brain-phone is the best phone

Start from the beginning

However, the question is, what was the point of that? I mean, yea, I feel great now, and I could probably shift—if I knew how, mind you--but it wouldn't do me much good trapped in here. The only good thing about this is I can go wolf on Neil if he tries anything funny. Let's just hope our relationship has moved past that.

"We should start a riot and take all the guards hostage," I comment offhandedly.

"Let me known when you have a plan for that," he says uninterestedly. I huff, smothering my short-lived idea. I need something, though. I can't just sit here and wait to be rescued. Yes, it fits into that damsel in distress fantasy I had when I was a kid, but this is the real world and I have no idea where Cayton is. It's only been a day; as far as I know, he could still think I'm at my mom's.

I glance down at my wrists again. I could just shift and try to break out...which wouldn't work, more than likely. Ugh! What other cool powers do werewolves have that would be useful? I mean, I know werewolves are freaky fast healers, obviously can't overlook the fact they change into massive wolves, that mind-thingy, and does having mates really count-

Backtrack!

Wolfette! I'm screaming to myself in my mind. That mind thing! Why didn't I think of that earlier! It's like a walkie-talkie built into your brain! Why didn't you say something?

Sorry, I hear her grumble back. I'm still recovering from the silver.

Ok, well, work your magic. Use my brain-phone to call Cayton.

You do it, she says. I groan aloud.

Are we going to argue over this? Really?

No, seriously, you do it. I can't. I'm just an imaginary wolf at the moment.

Oh. Well.

I close my eyes. God, how do I do this? Concentrate, maybe? Can't hurt. I concentrate on Cayton. His face, his eyes, every line and curve, his lips...

I lose my concentration for the slightest second, and I shake my head to clear my thoughts. Don't start with the hormonal crap, brain.

'Hello? Cayton?' I shout into a void. I'm not exactly sure if me just speaking will somehow find its way into his head. I guess it doesn't, because there isn't a response from the other end.

I concentrate as hard as I can, even clenching my fists tightly.

"Are you constipated or did you smell something really bad?" This time it's Neil that breaks my concentration. I realize my entire face is scrunched up in true hard-concentrating fashion.

"Shut up will you? I'm trying to call someone."

He looks at me as if I'm crazy. I roll my eyes, holding up both my wrists. "Free to use the wonders of the werewolf," I explain. Realization crosses his features, and his mouth forms an O.

"Well you're doing it wrong. You're just mind-linking, not trying to burst a blood vessel."

"Well how do I do it right?" I question, a bit irritably but curiously at the same time. He thinks about it for a second, before shrugging.

"Don't know."

I frown at him. "Yes, you do."

"Maybe, but I think it will cost you."

"I don't need your help," I glare at him and that stupid smirk. Apparently, our relationship hasn't moved past that. "Just remember I'm plenty capable of ripping your reproductive organs from your body right now." He opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off with my hand. "Don't respond. Just, help me."