Chapter 14: Everything's Falling Apart (edited)

Start from the beginning

“Shut your mouth! You do not speak against the Council!” Mrs. Bellow shouted. She opened her desk drawer and pulled out a pill bottle. She then opened it and dry swallowed a few.

“Why not? The Council can kiss my ass! This is some sort of punishment for all women. They take us away from our home when we turn fifteen then they dump us in this place. They want us to become mindless drones, ready to jump on their order. What happened to us? The Council has made us a possession.

Smack! “I told you not to speak against them child. You have no idea what you are saying. They have eyes everywhere. You think they’re not listening to everything you say? There are rebellions going on and the Council is just itching to take an ax to someone’s head. They don’t care how old you are Mason?”

I rubbed my stinging cheek then growled at her. I wanted to say something, but I just didn’t have it in me right now. I was so angry that I wanted to explode.

Mrs. Bellow fixed her blouse then went back to her seat like nothing happened.

“We are women and yes we have to make great sacrifices for our survival. The world has changed and there is nothing we can do about it. It’s a man’s world, we just lie in it. If you want to blame someone, blame the ones who started the War on Tar Non. If it wasn’t for that war, we’d be living like we were before any of this happened.”

"No, if it wasn't for Julius Acoff, we;d be living like we used to," Angela inputted.

I took a step back and look at Angela. The War on Tar Non was the largest war that the U.S. had ever seen. Millions of wolves and humans had giving their lives. As a result, the humans went extinct and wolves took over.

The war was for freedom. When the first werewolves came out of the wood works, it was a test. At first we were persecuted, but as the years went by, humans slowly started to accept us. However, since Julius Acoff declared war on all humans, nothing was the same.

The war went on for seven long years. Families were wiped from the books. When Acoff won the war, the first thing he did was declare that all women at the ripe age of fifteen was to go to these academies to be groom for a proper mate. The first auction was a massacre. The women committed suicide and tried to kill their mates.

Soon after, there would be horrible stories about them cutting out babies from their stomachs. They couldn't bare carrying a child that they didn't want or ask for. The pain of what they had to go through was to horrible to ignore so some just went insane.

Then the rebellions started and Acoff sent guards keep a close eye on the people. Soon we couldn’t do anything without him knowing. He created the Council for the ‘serious’ offenders. The Council is nothing but a group of sex-crazed maniacs who think that younger women are the key to making an army of their own children.

“If it were up to me, I would make sure no girl is force to enter this barbaric auction. I am one of the girl’s from the first auction. I saw the events firsthand and it has forever replayed in my mind. I can’t run away from it. I lost friends and family. I haven't seen my own parent in almost thirty years. ”

“You understand how we feel then?” Angela asked,

“Yes, I am very aware. You feel like your hope and dreams have been trampled on. Sometimes you feel like nothing is worth living anymore. You feel claustrophobic and there will never be a way out. All of those are true, but we can't just let go of life.”

“I don’t want to do this ma’am,” Angela said. “Can’t you do something?”

“Angela, you will be auctioned,” Mrs. Bellow said sternly. “This is out of my hands. I am sorry, but I cannot help you.”

“You haven’t even tried,” I clenched my jaw.

She ignored me and said to Angela, “It is my final decision. Since you missed today’s auction, you will be in the morning. Do I make myself clear?”

“Y-yes ma’am,” Angela sobbed. 

“But I thought you understood?!” I shouted.

“I do, but we can’t all be heroes Mason. Starting tomorrow, you will be auction,” she turned to Angela, then to me “and you will be going back to your classes like nothing ever happened. This is not a place to be reckoned with. There are higher powers than me.”

“So what was all the shit you just told us? Was it all bullshit, or just most of it?”

“That is enough! You will not talk to me like we are on equal ground. You are a child and I am the adult. You will do as I say until it is time for you to be auctioned!”

“That’s it, you’re not going to help us?” tears ran down my face but my jaw was still clenched out of rage. “We just have to accept this, huh?”

“I never said I would help you and yes, you will have to accept this. If you don’t, then I cannot guarantee your protection here,” she said. “Keegan!”

The door knob turned and Keegan’s head popped into the room, “yes?”

“Please escort these girls to their rooms, their own rooms.”

“Wait, we can't go to each other’s room?” I asked as Keegan started tugging us both. “She’s going to be auctioned tomorrow. Can’t I at least spend some time with her?”

“I’m sorry Mason, but I think this is best. You two should cut ties now while you can. After tonight you may never see each other again.” As soon as Mrs. Bellow’s finished the sentence Angela busted out crying.

“Please, I don’t want to go,” she turned to look at Mrs. Bellow. “Please! I don’t want to be auctioned!”

The only sound left was Angela cries. Mrs. Bellow never responded back as Keegan pushed us through the door and walked us down the corridor.

“You have to remember me Mason,” she sobbed. “I’m Angela Price, fifteen years old. Remember Mason!” We stopped in front of a door that had the numbers 142. Angela squeezed her eyes shut as Keegan opened the door and pushed her it. Just as he was about to close it, I pushed pass him to hug Angela.

“Don’t forget Sammy and don’t you dare forget Jillian,” I whispered in her ear before Keegan yanked me by my hair and out the door. He took a key out and locked the door, leaving Angela trapped until morning.

I’ve pretty much lost two of my friends now and I have no idea what’s going to happen to me and Sammy while we’re here. All I do know is that in the course of 6 weeks, I’ll have already lost three friends, gain and lost an enemy, and will be leaving with a stranger. I can’t help but think that things would be better if I just killed myself.