Slip up

"We're just going out to celebrate the end of the semester, Robbie. Nothing is going to happen." You said, reassuringly. You had told him about this celebratory evening a long time ago but he had most likely forgotten about it and underestimated the amount of male friends that would be joining you.

"I know, I just wish I could come. That's all." He said, sitting down on your bed discouraged.
"I wish you could too." You said. You had bought your ticket to the evening but both of you expected Robbie to be working. Finally his schedule had changed so he had come home unexpectedly.

"Then stay. Stay with me?" He asked.
"Robbie," You said, "I can't just ditch this evening, a lot of work went into it and we're all supposed to be there."
"I know but-" He said, hoping to argue.
"What's the big deal Robbie? It's only a couple of hours, then I'll come back and we can spend the rest of the night together." You said, with a smile, sitting down beside him.
He didn't answer, instead he kept looking away from you as if he was holding himself back from speaking his mind.

"What?" You asked, "What's wrong?"
"Nothing." He said blatantly, "It's fine."
"Robbie, what's wrong? Why don't you want me to go?" You asked, raising your eyebrow at him as he stood up angrily.

"Because I don't want you going out and getting drunk with all these guys around you who are just waiting for the chance to jump you!" He said in one breath.
You stared at him incredulously, "Are you kidding me right now?"
He didn't say anything, he just stared back, knowing he had upset you.

"Don't you trust me?" You said.
"Of course I trust you. I don't trust them. And I don't know them. And I don't know where you're going and what's going to happen, I just know that I'm worried and I hate it." He said, looking at you and adding to his thoughts as he noticed your expression, "And I know it's stupid but it's just how I feel, okay?"
"So what do you expect me to do?" You asked.
"I expect you to go." He said, "But I wish you wouldn't."
"Robbie," You said, "I'm just going there to be with my friends, and enjoy the fact that I'm done with school for a while. I'm not going there to get drunk and sleep with a bunch of stupid guys."

"I know." He said.
"Then why are you so worried?" You asked.
"I worry about you. Which is ridiculous, because I know you're more than capable of looking after yourself but it's who I am. I love you, so I worry." He said.
"You do?" You asked.
"Of course. Whenever I'm not with you I'm always afraid something will happen to you and I'll hate myself because I wouldn't be there to protect-"

"No, I mean." You said, walking towards him smiling, "You love me?"
His eyes widened, as he realized what he said. "Uh- shit. I'm sorry if that scares you I just- wow. I can't believe I said it-" He said, rambling.
Your smile got wider, and you kissed him causing him to stop talking. He faltered a little, being interrupted by your embrace. You separated from him, watching his face break out into a wide smile just like yours.
"I love you too." You said.